Advice or sugestions on selecting stove size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eernest4 said:
If it were my house & my money,I would go with the T6 (rated slightly larger than house area) because how much heat the stove throws can be controled by using a smaller load of wood as well as setting the primary & secondary air down lower

Anyways, I always buy the biggest stove I can get for the money I have to spend & I have been happy & warm, because of it.

HELLO eernest4
Thanks for the input.you make some nice points.My main concern is that will I have much trouble taming it down especially during the shoulder seasons.

goose said:
bbc557ci said:
goose - I'm a newb at wood burning. This is my 1st season at it (as of 1/21/08) but I'll throw in my $.02 for what it's worth. I have a T6. The house is a salt box design and +,- 1400 sf.

I'm not necessarily saying the T6 is the right stove for your application. What I am saying is, it seems a little overkill on the size of the stove I chose worked well, for my application.

Just a few thoughts from a newb. Best of luck with whatever stove you decide on :)
HELLO bbc557ci
Thankyou for your reply.I am glad you are enjoying your T-6 it is a beautiful looking stove.I must say you seemed to kinda go out on a limb and purchase the T-6 when it seems everyone was telling you differently.GOOD MOVE! Like you,I hope to make this purchase once only.It seems to me ,what I am kinda of hearing from you is that burning with smaller hot fires while still acheiving that longer burn time(within reason of course)isn't to difficult.If so ,that is exactally the kind of info I was hoping to see on here.Thanks again for your $.02 ,hope to burning along sde the rest of you next winter!

Goose - Most stove manufacurers will mention a range of, or, square foot "area" that a particular model will heat. But I didn't really see anything from them that pin pointed the entire scenerio, which is understandable. I went a bit on the over kill side of things, due to my particular location and house design. "GOOD MOVE" ?? Hhmmmm, well we'll see LOL.

During true winter cold weather the T6 has been great. Recently in our location we've had a taste of shoulder season. And I seem to have been able to tweak/adjust the the wood load and burn of the T6 fairly well, so far. As outside temps continue to get warmer, obviously more burn adjustments/experimentaion will be in order. Another thing to consider (that I know zip, squat about), different species of wood make for a better burn during different seasons. More to consider and learn about :-S

I'm still leaning so I'll be keeping an eye on the other thread that BeGreen started in relation to this thread. Us newbs need all the info we can gather :)

bbc557ci said:
goose said:
bbc557ci said:
goose - I'm a newb at wood burning. This is my 1st season at it (as of 1/21/08) but I'll throw in my $.02 for what it's worth. I have a T6. The house is a salt box design and +,- 1400 sf.

I'm not necessarily saying the T6 is the right stove for your application. What I am saying is, it seems a little overkill on the size of the stove I chose worked well, for my application.

Just a few thoughts from a newb. Best of luck with whatever stove you decide on :)
HELLO bbc557ci
Thankyou for your reply.I am glad you are enjoying your T-6 it is a beautiful looking stove.I must say you seemed to kinda go out on a limb and purchase the T-6 when it seems everyone was telling you differently.GOOD MOVE! Like you,I hope to make this purchase once only.It seems to me ,what I am kinda of hearing from you is that burning with smaller hot fires while still acheiving that longer burn time(within reason of course)isn't to difficult.If so ,that is exactally the kind of info I was hoping to see on here.Thanks again for your $.02 ,hope to burning along sde the rest of you next winter!

Goose - Most stove manufacurers will mention a range of, or, square foot "area" that a particular model will heat. But I didn't really see anything from them that pin pointed the entire scenerio, which is understandable. I went a bit on the over kill side of things, due to my particular location and house design. "GOOD MOVE" ?? Hhmmmm, well we'll see LOL.

During true winter cold weather the T6 has been great. Recently in our location we've had a taste of shoulder season. And I seem to have been able to tweak/adjust the the wood load and burn of the T6 fairly well, so far. As outside temps continue to get warmer, obviously more burn adjustments/experimentaion will be in order. Another thing to consider (that I know zip, squat about), different species of wood make for a better burn during different seasons. More to consider and learn about :-S

I'm still leaning so I'll be keeping an eye on the other thread that BeGreen started in relation to this thread. Us newbs need all the info we can gather :)
HI bbc557ci
I am looking at the catolog for PE stoves and it says it will heat up to 3000 sq.ft., this happens to be the same stove I intend on buying.The next size down will heat up to 2000 sq.ft. my house happens to be a cape just over 2000 sq.ft. I dont mind the larger stove at all ,I just didnt want it to run me out of the room.I was hoping to hear someone say things similar to what you are saying about the T-5/T-6 stoves.My main concern is if I went with the larger of the two ,I wouldnt be able to burn smaller loads in it the way I could with the T-5.Wish you the best THANKS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.