Agway Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defrob

Jul 3, 2011
CT
I just picked up a ton of Agway pellets. The bags say manufactured for and distributed by Southern States Cooperative out of Richmond, VA. Anyone know the actual manufacturer? I heard it is Hamers.

defrob said:
I just picked up a ton of Agway pellets. The bags say manufactured for and distributed by Southern States Cooperative out of Richmond, VA. Anyone know the actual manufacturer? I heard it is Hamers.

I have some Statesmen Hardwood Heats that say distributed by Southern States, Richmond, VA that I bought from Southern States. They are Hamer's. The store Agway is owned by Southern States. Maybe hamers? Probably. Not sure??

Somebody here last winter said he got something from Agway saying they were made by New England Wood Pellets.

My local Agway sells New England. Last time I checked they were right around $250 per ton a few weeks back.

They were $225 for a ton. It was a great price considering I paid $265 for actual Hamers a week ago.

I used about 3 tons of Southern States last season. They were Hamers. I am not aware of a change in product. I intend to get at least 2 tons and maybe 4 this weekend at $229 at Souther States.

quickrch said:
I used about 3 tons of Southern States last season. They were Hamers. I am not aware of a change in product. I intend to get at least 2 tons and maybe 4 this weekend at $229 at Souther States.

FYI - I paid $205/ton at Southern States a few weeks ago. Statesmen Brand...

GrahamInVa said:
quickrch said:

Did you have a coupon? The 229 is the sale price and they are supposed to go up in August.

quickrch said:
GrahamInVa said:
quickrch said:

Did you have a coupon? The 229 is the sale price and they are supposed to go up in August.

No, I called before I went up there and asked how much they had in stock. They had 60 bags. I asked how much if I bought all they had left and they told me $4.10/bag. It may have just been because they were old stock?

I went a picked up 4.5 tons or 3 trips with the trailer that holds 3000 pounds. Stacked them about 6 feet high on three pallets in the garage. I think I'll need one more load and a thermostat this year. The Southern States are hot and do best when it is cold so I'll wait and see what they are selling at home depot in Sept. to get a final load for the shoulder months.

I suppose I am a pellet pig now.

Status
Not open for further replies.