Air input on St. Croix Hastings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I've done some pretty good cleaning on my St. Croix hastings, but the glass still seems to be getting dirty faster than it used to. The only thing left that I can assume is that there's not enough air getting in there? I can't tell where the air feeds in on this stove. The manual doesn't really tell me. The flame looks slightly lazier than it used to and I can only assume it's an air flow issue. There's a thin tube coming out of the fan on the left side of the stove that goes from the fan to the front side of the stove. I'm assuming that blows air in, but how would I clean that or verify that I have proper air flow? See the pictures below attached.

Attachments

• 2011-10-07_18-20-34_879.jpg
    2011-10-07_18-20-34_879.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 2011-10-07_18-20-49_909.jpg
    2011-10-07_18-20-49_909.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 123
Look under your burn pot. Your air comes in through there. Then look for the hole for your OAK on the back of the stove. There is a channel of some sort that runs from the OAK to the area under your burn pot.

The small tube you are seeing is for your vacuum switch. This has nothing to do with your glass staying clean.

If you cant find the way the intake air comes in, do you know all of your exhaust passages? The combustion air comes in your OAK and goes out your exhaust. The best way to understand and clean a stove is start at the intake and work your way to the exhaust.

Look for a round 2.5"-3" hole in the back of your stove. This will be where the stove pulls in its combustion air. Next stop is the area beneath or behind your burn pot. Then from there, a passage or passages to the combustion blower, then out your exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.