Airflow Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
I installed my new stove about six weeks ago after using my old steel box stove for the past 26 years. I burn 24/7 and exhaust into an 8 x 12 clay flue. I also had some horizontal pipe issues as well. When I first got the stove, the draft was fine or so I thought. After much reading in this forum, I decided to install a rigid flue liner because my chimney is a 25' straight shot down. I also took care of the horizontal pipe issue by moving the chimney thimble up about 3'. The whole job took about 5 hrs. total and that was with lunch and a couple of beers. When I lit the stove, I couldn't beleive the difference. The old draft was like an old dog moping around and the new draft is like a half dozen puppies running around. When the damper is closed all the way I now hear air rushing through the stove and am wondering if this is the airwash and secondary air I am hearing as I have never heard this before. Thanks to all for your input.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.