Almost Spring Cleaning Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
So, I have searched around but don't feel I have sufficient info. I am hoping someone can help me out. I want to sweep the chimney. First I was thinking of getting one of those " Sooteaters" for 6" flues. Is the general consensus that they are fine? Or should I go with traditional nylon brush with extenders? My flue/chimney specs: Hearthstone Shelburne out 2 feet up, 90 degree elbow thru the wall, another 90degree going up 2 stories, angle around the soffit up another 5'. On the outside there is a clean out at the bottom too.
I will be doing a cleaning from bottom UP. No place for me to stand on roof, too steep.
So, How do I clean out the inside pipe, without the junk going into the stove (above tubing)? Do I take the pipe out from the stove?
Will the Sooteater maneuver around the sofit well?
I have attached 2 pictures here. Stove installed was installed this past Dec 1. Regarding outside picture, I had the dealer come back and extend the chimney. I can't recall if they extended another 4 or 6 ft. To me now, visually, it doesn't feel like the 10/2 rule, to my eye it looks in line with house chimney, but that's another story. Once it gets warmer I will be able to measure. There is a skylight (can't see in the picture) and I can see the chimney cap easily. I do get good drafts, no trouble starting her up.
Thoughts or links to cleaning... Thanks!

Attachments

• insideix.jpg
    insideix.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 360
  • outsidevix.jpg
    outsidevix.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 310
No offense Vix but the placement of your stove scares me. The back corners look too close to the combustibles. Is the pipe double walled coming out of the stove as well?

No offense take. Yes, double pipe. There is a heatshield. I am in spec via the manual (with several inches to spare), and not that it makes it more right, the walls are plaster, which unlike sheetrock, is not as combustable.

The look from the picture you posted may be deceiving, it just looks a bit scarey with the heat source so close to an unprotected area. Are the plastered walls painted?

The soot eater should work. I just got mine from Amazon and already used it. The rods are flexible. If you go bottom up, there will be a hail of soot at the cleanout. In another post it was recommended to use the top half of say a windshield washer jug. Flip it upside down and put the first flex rod through the opening with the cleaning brush head and secure to the bottom of the tee at the cap. Feed it up and add sections as you go. It will be like a funnel at the bottom keeping dust under control. Before you start cleaning stuff an old towel into the snout end of the tee towards the stove to keep excess crap from being thrown into the flue pipe. The rods should have no problem at the offset. You may even be able to clean the flue pipe to the stove with the soot eater also. The brush head has what looks like nylon weed whacker line that can be cut to the diameter of your flue. Judging by the height of the clean out cap, you may be able to feed two sections at a time. I really like the product.

I just swept my chimney yesterday. Not with a soot eater though, but I've heard they work well. In your case, I'd do it from the outside clean out, stick your device up the pipe keeping the bulk of the dust outside before you attempt to clean out the connectors. The offset should be negotiable even for standard flex rods and a brush. I have a few different brushes. I use a 6"round polly brush for the connectors. It works great and really gets the junk out! Then go inside and clean out the connectors from the inside of the stove, up to the through the wall section and into the clean out( if you have the super flexible sooteater rods). Leave the clean out open as you do this with a bucket under it, so the dust can go into it. Sooteater rods should be able to negotiate all the corner just fine. You probably don't have to take the connectors appart if you don't want to, but I would, if for nothing else, to satisfy my curiosity and see how much build up is really in there. With standard fiberglass rods and brush you'll have to take the connectors appart to get the job done.

BTW, I think your set up looks really clean and neat! Nice looking stove, too! I bet it heats like a champ! Some stoves have really low clearance to combustibles with a corner set up and rear heat shield. Your must be one of those. Good luck with the sweep!

Chris

I was wondering if I was going to get a reply. For some reason the email notifier stopped and I didn't get notice of a reply to this tread.

Oslo, yes walls are painted.
Fishinpol and Chris, nice tips.
Bob, thank you!

I think I am going to order Sooteater today. I love the "funnel/guard" idea. I am confused tho about how to clean the inside pipe. I understand you say to go from the outside in. But wont all the debris fall inside to the stove? How do I catch the junk without it falling on top of the tubes/baffle where I can't get? How do I stop that? This part is not clear. Can someone explain. Thanks. I will manually check back to this tread to view.
Vixster

If you are able to and feel comfortable doing it, remove the flue and elbow sections from the stove and tee. Cover each end with a plastic bag and elastic or tape the bags from falling off and bring it outside and run the soot eater through it. Shop vac the stove out. Stuff an old towel into the thimble connection befor cleaning. Once you clean this a few times, you'll figure out a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.