Alone or buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll work with a partner on occasion. My Nephew, sons, one friend, that's about it because they are experienced and know the safety drill. My best friend was killed in a skid steer accident at a log mill so I'm pretty concerned with safety.

That said I will cut alone if I have to. I do call and let someone know when I start cutting and call back when I'm done, so they'll know where to look ; )...

ATB,
Mike

I'm only on my second year using a chainsaw and I always have someone with me or near by when felling or bucking. I like to split alone with my splitter though.

I second the cell phone on hand, and not in the truck.

75% of my cutting is alone - I do enjoy having a partner to cut with though. All my splitting and stacking is alone, which is fine.

I like having a buddy... Feel safer and more productive.
One person bucking while one person splits - try not to have more than one person on a saw at a time.
When felling one person is safely out of range observing while the other is cutting.

wolfram said:
Alone. Peace and Quiet.

Me too. I have cut with a buddy a couple times and it is nice, but due to my work schedule, I do most of my cutting and splitting on weekdays.

I have been cutting only tops by myself the past year or so. Buck alone, and move the wood alone. But have found my new girlfriend likes to help split and stack and move the wood after seasoning for burning. I know, I might have to keep her. ;-P

Shipper

I've always cut with another person but do my splitting at home alone, an hour or so at a time after work (desk jocky). Its nice to go home and swing a maul for a while after sitting on my arse all day. Gonna do some solo cutting in the next couple of weeks, guess I'll have to keep my cellphone on me, sounds like a good tip.

Shipper50 said:
I have been cutting only tops by myself the past year or so. Buck alone, and move the wood alone. But have found my new girlfriend likes to help split and stack and move the wood after seasoning for burning. I know, I might have to keep her. ;-P

Shipper

any pics after she's worked up a good sweat from splittin? Or you use an axe on Ash like the guys that can out split a maul? :)

generally with a buddy,a few beers and some conversation afterwards is an important part of the process for me.....

Do you guys also cuddle, when the work is done also!

for saw work in the timber I almost always have a buddy. Like many I prefer to work alone don't have to worry about anybody else getting in the way or trying to be social when i'm trying to enjoy the moment (I consider it very zen to chop down trees and clean up the timber). I HAVE THE BEST BUDDY IN THE WORLD, cause from day-one we just started working and there isn't much talking, i don't have to tell him to lift a log for me to cut off the ground; I don't have to be asked to scoot a log out another 16" for a good cut; i can eat my lunch in silence; i know when he is low on mix; he hands me the B&C oil. we know each others limits in strength and endurance and are also closely matched in strength and endurance. It's almost like working alone, but having twice the capacity for the job. Safer and faster, you can't beat that....

A good work buddy is hard to come by, but they are out there, keep looking if you don't have one.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

any pics after she's worked up a good sweat from splittin? Or you use an axe on Ash like the guys that can out split a maul? :)
The pics I have of her I can't post on here. ;-P

I bought her a used chopper axe for Christmas as she likes camp fires and has a small farm with horses and a lama, cats and dogs. She works up a sweat just watching me split wood I think... :lol:

Shipper

I do almost all of the work alone. Put on the ipod and put my cell phone in the pocket just in case. If I run across something that looks dangerous I leave it until I have someone to watch. I've found it's easier to work alone, if the wife come out to help then the dogs come with too. It's too much of a pain to keep an eye on everyone's location while I'm working, the constant watching outweighs the value of the help. Besides, I like to be alone in the woods.

Either or . . . I prefer to work with my buddy Joe . . . we get more work done together, the day's work is more fun, if one of us gets the saw stuck or needs a hand we can help each other out and if something ever happened we would have someone there to go for help.

That said, I sometimes work alone as well . . .

Yesterday's buddy . . .

Also discourages wood thievery :smirk:

Attachments

• bean.jpg
    bean.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 140
My brother-in-law Roger lost his right eye to a piece of baling wire when he was two. When he was in his teens, he went to live and work on his friend Billy's farm. Billy had lost an arm to a hay baler when he was about 12. Roger went to live with Billy because Billy's dad lost his life felling a tree for firewood. He was alone. Who know's, he might have lived if he had gotten help.

It's real nice to have someone around when using heavy equipment. You never know what can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.