Always wanted an outdoor fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I have an old morso, slant top stove, and was wondering if it would be worth putting on a patio, outside in the elements. I would enjoy the fire and the warmth in when it gets chilly. Will it rust incredibly fast, will it be an eye sore, will it work for a few years?

First thing you have to look into is local laws.

How about a cheap fire pit? This might work.

I would think metal exposed to the elements would rust very fast.

Attachments

• makeshift firepit.jpg
    makeshift firepit.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 214
It will rust a bit unless you keep up on it. Give a light sanding and a few dozen coats of paint.

My old smoke dragon is outside on the deck. It sits on some bluestone pavers and is wrapped in a tarp when not in use. It has rusted a bit, but I'm not too worried about it. I have about 7' of pipe on it and the draft keeps the smoke out of our eyes. My nieces toasted marshmellows in it on Christmas eve. They thought that was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.