antenna mounted to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I have 2 questions.

Will a chimney mounted tv antenna create draft issues? It is slightly offset, but in the direct path of exhaust flow most days.

The antenna is not being used. I just have not taken it down.

Also, I have 3 flues in my chimney.
If I want to cap all of these, should I make the height of the cap higher on the primary lined flue? If all of the caps height is the same will draft be affected by this?

I have 2 questions.

Will a chimney mounted tv antenna create draft issues?

No
If I want to cap all of these, should I make the height of the cap higher on the primary lined flue? If all of the caps height is the same will draft be affected by this?

A three foot extension on the wood stove flue might help with downdrafts if, say, one of the other flues goes to a furnace/boiler in a basement and you've smelled the wood stove down there when the furnace/boiler is not running.

Will a chimney mounted tv antenna create draft issues? It is slightly offset, but in the direct path of exhaust flow most days.
I agree it wont

It usually wont be a problem but it is possible. like billb said it is possible to have a problem with smoke backing up through one of the other flues. But i see hundreds of multiflue chimneys a year with them all terminating at the same height and only see a problem a couple times

What it may possibly do is corrode the antenna connections faster. If the heat is high, say from a runaway fire, the connections may melt.

I don't use it anyway. I plan on taking it down. I was just thinking through the idea of the chimney being the highest point.

Why take a working antenna down? Maybe at some point in the future you'd want to use it for over the air tv or radio.

I had the chimney lengths extended. It pretty much works. I don't notice much smokey smell in the basement anymore. Maybe when the pellet boiler is off and just the insert is working. Of course, I'll probably burn more oil this winter and the winds will change, and.... Plus, it doesn't look that great. I tried anyway. :)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-some-advice-on-chimney-heights.125719/#post-1698278

Status
Not open for further replies.