Anyone bought their pellet supply for this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No because my local TSC still doesn’t have their stock in. I’ve gotten them in early June the previous years. If they don’t get them in I might have to travel a bit to get them this time.

But my Jeep isn’t done yet either, and likewise my trailer. Been working on it just about every day. So right now I’d have to rent something since they don’t deliver. If I can hold off till it’s done then I can haul them for the price of the gas. Even if they go up in price by then I hopefully will still come out ahead.

The small Energex supplier by me wanted a lot of money for an early season buy so I passed. I will start looking at the big box stores in August.

Bought and paid for back in April
First skid to be delivered the first week of September
Will call when the second and third skids are needed
Cudix as per usual.

Reactions: vinny11950
3 tons Woods & Sons bought and delivered. 1/2 price delivery if bought early and figured prices weren’t going to be coming down as I assume the suppliers were placing their orders with the mills in the first qtr.

3 tons Woods & Sons bought and delivered. 1/2 price delivery if bought early and figured prices weren’t going to be coming down as I assume the suppliers were placing their orders with the mills in the first qtr.
I love Wood & Sons. I usually pick up 2 tons at a time in my truck. What are they going for this year?

This week I got two tons of Barefoot Pellets from my local hardware store for $290. It's their "pre-buy," so it's the best price I'll get all year. I have half a ton left from last year, so that should be enough, unless winter is particularly nasty.

I bought 2 tons of Bear Mountain pellets for $289/ton , big price increase from last year.

Went to tractor supply today and they’re offering 25 % off on lay away. Guy in line said $289 a ton.

The same at my local TSC, but around her it is $25 off instead of 25%. Gotta pick up by October 1.

1690263533903.png

Who's wishing for the good old days when we complained about $250 and were happy to get that early sale price of $225 ? ;)

Fortunately I don't need pellets. I've still got several tons left from the massive sale HD put on in spring 2021.

Was just looking at prices recently. I saw the same 308/ton for from HD for green supreme and thinking of ordering them early. I ordered from lowes last year 3 tons and got power pellets and the green supreme I got later in the year were much better, also Lowes is more expensive this year at $355.50 a ton. They were 298.78 last year. Thinking of ordering now before HD matches the lowes prices. TSC I also looked at but their delivery is much more expensive.

Was just looking at prices recently. I saw the same 308/ton for from HD for green supreme and thinking of ordering them early. I ordered from lowes last year 3 tons and got power pellets and the green supreme I got later in the year were much better, also Lowes is more expensive this year at $355.50 a ton. They were 298.78 last year. Thinking of ordering now before HD matches the lowes prices. TSC I also looked at but their delivery is much more expensive.

Our TSC doesn't have delivery, so everything is pick up only. The also don't have a trailer for rent that can handle a ton, but you can buy one from them.

But, to be fair, Aubuchons doesn't deliver either (but they do rent uhauls). Don't know what Agway charges but if you order early they offer free delivery for 3+ tons.

Both HD & lowes are 35 miles away, so to make it worth the delivery charge you need to buy lots. But, you also don't know what you will get since they won't promise it is the brand they have in house. That was more of a risk when there were a million little pellet producers in the general area. When I got a big haul back in 2016, HD sent Thermoglos even though they were stocked to the gills with FSUs. Good thing they were super cheap.

Sandpiper, $389/ton 40lb bags, $419/ton 20lb bags for the Woods and Sons.
After seeing your price which would be over 500 Canadian I
am happy that I paid 308 Canadian for Cubix with delivery per ton of 40lbs bags

Northern Warmth supremes going for $520, Vermont wood Pellets $419. Once you go outside the box stores around here prices are nuts.
Talked to the delivery guy for a while and said that they’ve never seen the prices go down between spring vs fall delivery. Said most mills take their orders 3rd qtr/1st qtr of the year and start delivering in late spring. Many shut down for the winter. Don’t know if it’s true but makes sense.

Reactions: vinny11950
No because my local TSC still doesn’t have their stock in. I’ve gotten them in early June the previous years. If they don’t get them in I might have to travel a bit to get them this time.

But my Jeep isn’t done yet either, and likewise my trailer. Been working on it just about every day. So right now I’d have to rent something since they don’t deliver. If I can hold off till it’s done then I can haul them for the price of the gas. Even if they go up in price by then I hopefully will still come out ahead.
No stock yet for our local TSC in Cincinnati but they advised they would carry Somersets for $280/ton. A competitor nearby is selling Somersets for $290/ton.

When I started burning pellets 30 years ago, pellets were going for $175/ton.

on a cold winter how long does a ton last?

I've burned as much as 6 tons in a hard winter (entire winter - I think most was about 2 tons in a month). Admittedly it was before I insulated the basement. The last two winters, which were mild, I used between 3.5 & 4 tons. That is using solely my pellet stoves for heating, both my basement and main floor which equals about 1,550 sq/ft.

My place is 2x4 framing, so only has R13 insulation (with no house wrap) and the roof is shallow so the attic insulation is only R19 (at best).

I burn 2 1/2 tons on average for the year
I heat an old summer kitchen with R12 in the walls
R32 in the ceiling and R8 in the crawl space. It was built in 1936
so not very tight. The main house is a cedar log construction
built in 1848 and heated with 3 cords of hard maple from October to April
That's in Easter Ontario 50 miles from Ottawa We have cold winters
-30 to -40 ::C is not uncommon

Many variables here. I have two Harman stoves but use a heat pump as my primary source of heat. My house is insulated well and I’ve got good windows. I average one ton/winter.

I have used 6 ton in a winter when it's really winter, not like the last couple mild winters we've had. Two years ago, burnt 5 1/2 ton, last winter 4 1/2. I run my heat pump down to the mid thirties, after that it's all pellet heat. I have burnt 3 bags+ a day easily when it gets real cold. Haven't bought any pellets yet this year, yet. Have 1 1/2 ton left from last year. Watching Menards prices, $300 ton with 11% rebate right now. Hopefully they'll be dropping the price, as they have done in years past.

Last edited:
Bought 2 tons of Matra softwood from Bucks Pellets (PA), $390 a ton plus $80 delivery....ouch.
Still had 1/2 ton left from last year. I burn 2.5 to 3 tons a winter.

349/ton now at HD. Local place has preseason pricing of 350/ton for hamers hot ones or easyblaze super premium soft wood. Ive heard really good things about hamers hot ones so might go that route. Could also get americas hardwood for 300/ton. Think I might order now before the prices go up at the local place.

I finally got mine.

I’ve been watching the nearby TSC all summer and they never got any in this year. The next nearest TSCs did, about 25 miles away or so. As of this week they show they’re both out, and the nearest ones are 50 miles. My Jeep is still gonna be awhile and I was afraid I might not get any at all if I kept waiting.

Well the local Family Farm And Home just got a bunch in. $300/ton. Not my favorite place to go because I have to deal with crossing town which is a nightmare in the summer. But do what I gotta do. I reserved a cargo van from Home Depot for Saturday. About an hour before pickup time they said it wasn’t available and they canceled it. Should have known better I guess, here in the sticks they never have any of that stuff anyway. Even getting a U haul is difficult. Well anyway I offered my buddy the same as what the Home Depot van would have cost, and he went and picked up all 3 tons for me. I just got the last ones unloaded. He didn’t want the money but in return I’m gonna help him welding on his trailer.

At last resort I would have just loaded up a handful in my car every day after work and deal with town every day. But I’m good now till next year.

Reactions: bogieb