Anyone burn Magnolia?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
My tree man dropped another dumptruck load of logs in the yard a week ago. Its mostly white oak, but there's a fair amount of magnolia mixed in.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever processed any? I haven't heard much about it in the couple years I've been around this site.

I assume its a low BTU wood, but I'm excited to process it out of curiosity :p

Were you planning on burning this wood this winter? Or in the future?

Since it has time, then if you have some experience with burning wood, you'll be able to tell by the weight of a piece with some good seasoning on it, what you will have in store with it.

According to this chart, magnolia is rated as a medium wood, beating spruce and such yet coming in close to cherry http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

I got most of the magnolia bucked up over the weekend. I split a few pieces to see how it was. Smaller rounds arent so bad, but the larger ones were a little tough to split

Wood reminds me of poplar. Really wide growth rings.

It wasnt too heavy when loading it into the truck

The magnolia is our state tree here in Mississippi so they are plentiful but I've never heard of anyone burning any. Maybe that's out of respect but i don't know. I don't recall seeing one dead anywhere but I'll give it a shot if i do. May as well put it to use if it's
Dead. Just no reason to go out and cut a green one with all the oak, hickory, maple and cherry I have on the 100 acres

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone down here doing it either. The thing about magnolias is that most people that have one in their yard like it. They're pretty iconic trees down south

I got mine from the tree man, so I don't know why it was taken down. I certainly wouldn't seek it out, but I do enjoy processing different types of wood other than oak, I'm a nerd like that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.