Anyone burning corn in an Avalon Astoria?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike141

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2006
If so let me know how it burns? Is it more efficient or hotter to burn than pellets? What mods, if any, were needed to the stove?

I don't burn any corn in mine because it's just as expensive as pellets, and has fewer btu's per pound. Buy if you want to, and don't have a newer stove, you can modify the burn pot so it's the same as the new multi-fuel one they came out with a few years ago. You can run a max of 50/50 corn & pellets.

Not sure if the vent pipes have to be upgraded...corn is pretty corrosive, and you have to clean out the big "clinker" that corn forms every day.

I had full intentions of trying it in my new Astoria until I found out it was $8+/bag at the nearby feed store..

Status
Not open for further replies.