Anyone Have A KING Model # 5502M? - I'm Having Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevRon

Oct 22, 2013
Southern Ohio
I purchased a King 5502M and a ton of AWF pellets from Tractor Supply a couple of months ago. This is my first pellet stove so I don't know much about them. My pellets are nice and dry but it has burned out twice (flame gone out). It has temperature settings and so far it has gone out on settings "1" and "2". Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have any advice for this model? Also, ash builds up in the two back corners of the burn pot.

This seems like a great forum. I'm glad I came across it.

Will need some details like how much ash in the pot and when running amount of pellets in pot. How vigorous of flame? Venting configuration. We can try help, but if you watch it seems some of this companies stoves lack the support and quality for a happy customer.

Will need some details like how much ash in the pot and when running amount of pellets in pot. How vigorous of flame? Venting configuration. We can try help, but if you watch it seems some of this companies stoves lack the support and quality for a happy customer.

I have the standard 3" pipe going through the wall through the thimble, Up about 3', then a 90* elbow, then another 12" of pipe with a cap. It's the DuraVent kit that TSC sells. Here is a video of it running at the "2" setting.

Perhaps the draft fan is running too high?

Looks like a lot more air than needed. Blowing out the flame and the stoves efficiency.

What do you have the draft dan set on?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry I have responded but I have been out of town for a conference.

The draft fan is currently set to automatic. I have fiddled with it before in manual mode but It seemed to me as if all the settings were the same (no noise level change).

Ron,

Try setting your draft fan 2 settings above your heat setting (ie heat setting of 2 = draft fan of 4). Also you might have to increase your feed rate, or manually change the settings of your draft fan. Try the settings above first and we can see what else we might have to do.

I am having this same exact issue with a 5502M. Getting way too much draft air blowing into the burn pot, literally blowing the pellets up and out of the pot. The stove will run if the draft settings two steps below the auto setting (example HR-3 with a draft setting of 1) but on HR-1 I'm having the exact same problem as the OP here. Setting the draft range two settings higher makes it much worse. Any ideas on what would cause this? I had a Breckwell Big-E before this 5502M and never had this problem at all.

This might sound stupid but is your airwash open at the bottom of your glass ? I only ask because mine was not (second owner here) the glass gasket went completely around the window. As per manufacture you should have a 6 inch gap at the bottom of the glass.

Secondly you can try turning the draft fan down but pressing your AUX DOWN . and DRAFT buttons together. this will display a number 150 I believe( I have the 5500M) Turn that number down (regardless of the number ) 25 .

I just checked and the airways is blocked by gasket. It makes since why you would ask. If the air wash is closed, all the air will be drawn through the burnpot creating too much draft.

Just double check your manual as I have rhe 5500m. I found the best way to cut the gasket goes is with wire cutters.

Not a stupid question! Airwash is blocked by the gasket on mine. Manual for 5502M says "The glass gasket has a gap at the bottom for the airwash". So trim the gasket out behind that bottom metal strip with the air slots in it on the inside glass? They shipped this thing with one screw holding the distribution blower on. I mounted it up proper with sheet metal screws and went through and tightened up a lot of other bolts. Didn't think to check the airwash. Will also try the draft adjustment. Thanks for the help.

Yeah I would start with cutting it as long as the slot in the metal bracket. You could always make it bigger if need be, I remember hearing something like 6 inches or so.

OK so I fixed the door air wash, but still have draft fluctuations in the burn pot. Pressing the AUX DOWN and DRAFT did nothing on this 5502M. Tried adjusting the C-4 value down by half (100>50) It still spits hot pellets up and out of the pot when the draft fan does come on. Exactly like the video a few posts up. Any ideas would be much obliged.

What is your HR set to ? If it higher than 1 you should have a nice healthy happy flame. If it is set you 1 you might be getting a lot of fly ash which to my knowledge not much you can do about that.

What is your HR set to ? If it higher than 1 you should have a nice healthy happy flame. If it is set you 1 you might be getting a lot of fly ash which to my knowledge not much you can do about that.

If I set it to HR-3 with a draft setting of 1 (or maybe 2) it burns healthy. So 1-2 draft ranges under factory settings. Seems like something is goofy with this thing. If there was a way to set the draft rate across the entire HR range settings that could help. There's nothing in the manual about that though. Maybe I'm chasing the wrong settings and should increase the feed rate?

When you set c-4 to let say 50 this is you draft fan 1speed. Then c-5 is the high settng or draft fan 9. The Stove will readjust the gradient.

Reactions: Owen1508
We just purchased and installed today. The problem we are having is that the only time the room fan works is during the test process. It never kicks on during operation. Any suggestions are appreciated. Error E3 keeps coming up.

Is it possible that the temperature ptobe is not connected? Is is that tells the stove to turn on the room fan. On the 5500m stove its a white two wire connector .... i posted pictures on here some place.

BMann just purchased one of these myself ....very difficult POS to figure out . I currently am running on hr-4 draft fan on 3 . Adjusted draft fan by pressing aux down and draft fan down simultaneously from 100 down to 65 . Room fan on 9 . I am trying to use mine to heat my basement and part of my first floor . I also heat with a Harman xxv on my 1st floor for the rest of the remaining 2 floors .....awesome stove btw. I am not a pellet stove expert but this 5502m scares me . Most unreliable thing I have seen in a while . Mine will just burn out with no err codes or anything . Good luck !

ive purchase the 5502m i installed it with 3 inch dura vent through a exsisting flue it kept coming up with error 2. i called manufacturer they told me i needed 4inch pipe so i now installed that with the same outcome of error 2. just burns for a while blows for a minute or so then shuts down with the code anyone have any suggestions

Do you have outside air vent coming into stove . Just open the door slightly on stove and see if stove stays running and no err code or burn out also could be possible pressure switch . Behind panel where controls are panel slides rearward when screws are removed . Jump 2 wire with wire jumper or paper clip going to pressure switch looks like a hockey puck with 2 wires going to it. Is it feeding pellets?

another day of toying with settings trying to figure this thing out, I've adjusted the C2 &C3 (feed rate) , the C4 & C5 (draft fan) , but then there are C6 through C20? Does anybody know what they control?

Reactions: G black
Status
Not open for further replies.