Anyone installed A Tjernlund Draft inducer in Double wall Selkirk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91220da

Nov 21, 2008
Pocono's Pennsylvania
Hi,
I would Like to install a Tjernlund Draft Inducer in the vertical section of 8" Selkirk double wall stainless pipe. Has anyone done this. Do you have to seal the area between the two walls? Any thoughts or pictures appreciated. It is very easy in single wall pipe but I am nervous about ruining the double wall. I have a piece of Single wall horizontal coming out of the back of a Greenwood 100 but would like to mount the draft inducer on the vertical double wall away from the high temps. of the furnace.
Thanks

I don't think it's recommended due to that possibility of a leak between the two walls. It would probably be better to use single wall up to the inducer and then go double wall out from there. If you are running into a problem with clearance to combustibles, you will need additional shielding.

Chris

I have one on my greenwood (in single wall). If you are trying to eliminate smoke while loading save your money, it doesn't work. I'm in the process of installing a smoke hood over the door of my unit.

Thanks Redox, I thought about the single wall thing and the leaking between the double wall. Still Smokin, Thanks for the heads up, off course I already bought the inducer when I picked up the GW-100. Do you have your inducer mounted horizontal where the pipe comes out of the boiler or on the vertical stack? How's your boiler working out for you? So far I am pleased with the temps and output. Smoke is a pain but I am in an old drafty garage so it self ventilates out the eaves and ridge vent. Thank god I did not put it in the basement.
Rich

I had a tjernlund on single wall on the horizontal. Vertical would be a smoke producer. The problem I found with the inducer was creosote build up on the blades and the fan would get stuck. With the inducer of the bottom of the horizontal it is in the coolest place it can be. In seven years using one I had one motor over heat and one control fry. I still have the third one sitting around and it worked when I retired my wood stove. I don't need it now on my EKO40.

Thanks Cave2K
I am still collecting info before I start cutting pipe or not cutting pipe. Draft is fine when up an running, I was mainly installing to help with the smoke while loading issue but as mentioned above it probably won't help.

91220da said:
Thanks Redox, I thought about the single wall thing and the leaking between the double wall. Still Smokin, Thanks for the heads up, off course I already bought the inducer when I picked up the GW-100. Do you have your inducer mounted horizontal where the pipe comes out of the boiler or on the vertical stack? How's your boiler working out for you? So far I am pleased with the temps and output. Smoke is a pain but I am in an old drafty garage so it self ventilates out the eaves and ridge vent. Thank god I did not put it in the basement.
Rich

Mine is installed on the vertical pipe about three feet above the GW. I believe it says in the install instructions not to mount it horizontal, but I could be wrong. I do think it will help control smoke on warmer windy days when draft is almost non-existant. I turn it on a couple times a week and so far no sticky fan blade. My GW is working great after tweaking the plumbing a few times. I really wish I would have found this site before I started my install. Probly would have saved some headaches. I hear ya about not installing in the basement, mine is in the garage also. Good thing they weigh over a ton or that's where mine would have went and that would suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.