Anyone switch back to an old school stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of us who had pre EPA stoves burnt wet wood and smoldered the fire, where is that coming from. The old stoves did not burn wet wood worth a crap.

oldspark said:
Not all of us who had pre EPA stoves burnt wet wood and smoldered the fire, where is that coming from. The old stoves did not burn wet wood worth a crap.

My old stove burned wet green seasoned wood did not make a difference.

corey21 said:
oldspark said:

My old stove burned wet green seasoned wood did not make a difference.
OK so how did it burn off the water with out you noticeing it.

I don't know.

oldspark said:

I am not saying everybody did burn wet wood. I am pointing out that lots of people knew how to run the stove to their satisfaction and just because the EPA or some guys on the internet claim a new stove is better doesn't mean they're going to want to buy a new stove. I think an old stove run with a little care can be fairly efficient and not too polluting, and it can definitely heat the house. I used to use one and I thought it was fine. Is a new stove more efficient? Sure it is, but a Prius gets better milage than my car but that doesn't mean I have one.

"I bet most people who own EPA-approved stoves burn them like the old stoves with wet wood and smouldering fires all night. Sadly not everyone spends way too much time thinking about wood stoves like we do"
I can agree with that statement! ;-)

The very first thing I did when the PO accepted the offer on the Cottage was get my Lopi on order to replace the old Fisher (partly because the Fisher was installed in a somewhat scary manner, which most certainly didn't comply with clearances). HOWEVER, we did get the Temco instead of a newer stove. It is (or really, will be) an occasional burner for nights that we want to sit in the three season porch. The Lopi is our primary heat source. I don't know if the Temco is actually considered a stove or fireplace to be honest....it is open (no doors, just a spark screen), but it's "self contained" unlike what I would consider a fireplace.

We did sell the Fisher to someone who is installing it in his house as a heat source.

I love vintage/antiques. Our house is full of funky old stuff (not valuable, some even "free" picked) and part of my business is selling vintage. But that said, when it came to heating my house (the Cottage), I bought a brand spaking new stove. I *might* have considered leaving the Fisher if it was installed properly and we weren't using it for heat, only an occasional burn-but I wouldn't have bought an older pre EPA stove to heat the place (although I will admit, if we had another place like the porch that needed occasional supplimental heat, I might have looked at an antique pot belly-but I really do like seeing the fire like in the Temco). If I needed another heat source for regular burns, I'd look at the Thelin for the look.

i grew up with a older fisher stove in my parents house it sucked it ate wood, u always had to watch the temps. would over fire then almost go out. my jotul now is a dream compared to that peace of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.