Anything I can do to reduce sound of Pellets clinking into the Burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddinboston

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2008
Natick, MA
Hi everyone,
We just got a Pellet stove installed last week (Enviro Mini). We started it last night and were concerned with the chemical smell in the air. We eventually shut it off because we have a young child and weren't sure what to expect. After reading some posts here, it sounds like that smell may be normal and we just need to "burn it off".

The other thing that struck us was the clinking of the pellets. I guess we'll get use to it, but is there anything we can do to reduce the clinking sound that is made as the pellets drop?

Thanks for any advice.

ddinboston said:
Hi everyone,
We just got a Pellet stove installed last week (Enviro Mini). We started it last night and were concerned with the chemical smell in the air. We eventually shut it off because we have a young child and weren't sure what to expect. After reading some posts here, it sounds like that smell may be normal and we just need to "burn it off".

The other thing that struck us was the clinking of the pellets. I guess we'll get use to it, but is there anything we can do to reduce the clinking sound that is made as the pellets drop?

Thanks for any advice.

Yep, you are probably smelling the oils, etc, that are on the metal parts during assembly that burn off during the first few burns. Do it on high (gets hotter so shouldn't take as long to finish) when you can leave a couple of windows and/or doors open to get rid of the fumes.

As for the "clinking"....well, I think you just have to get used to it. I thought the same thing you did, but after a while, I don't notice it anymore.....it just comes w/ the territory.... :lol:

I would rather hear the clinking of the pellets over the sound
of hearing my furnace run. ;-)
You won't even hear it anymore once you get used to it.
Enjoy the heat!

Thanks guys. That's what I thought too, but figured I'd check. My wife says that it's the sound of us saving money, and I can certainly get use to that!

tinkabranc said:
You won't even hear it anymore once you get used to it.
Enjoy the heat!

yup ......u definitely get use to it for sure.

BTW.....thats an awesome fall picture tink.

tinkabranc said:

Hear, hear, I'll second that !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Let me add that I'd rather hear that sound, than the sound of the oil truck beeper backing down my driveway. :ahhh:

I LOVE the tink tink sound of the pellets falling into the burnpot!

As for the smell, you may want take the kid
out for a few hours and set that stove to burn on high
so it bakes the paint on. If you just run it on a lower
setting it will take forever for the paint burn in.
Good luck and enjoy the warmth!

I just turn the tv on. what pellet klink lol. yes you get use to it. yes burning off can bring lots of fumes. no oil guy a good thing .

You will come to get used to the sound very quickly with use. It is like living under the flight path to a big airport. After a while you don't much notice the planes overhead. Look at it another way. If you can hear the pellets you must have some VERY QUIET auger and fan motors to be thankful for as those are the major source of noise that I have seen. Give it a couple weeks and somehow it will be an afterthought. Another volume bar on the tv set will probably be needed as well.

Open the windows and run the stove on high for a while and that should get the smell.

As for the pellets follow these steps
1.) fill the hopper with pellets
2.) use about a 1/2 gallon of water and pour it in the hopper this will soften the pellets so the decibel level of them hitting the burn pot will be reduced
3.) If the sound is still to loud add more water. Hint....warm water works the best.

Just trying to help

Eric

If (when) the oil prices go back up this winter, that pellet "clink" will sound more like "cha-ching" every time a pellet drops.

Use softwood pellets..... thats why they sell both types..Softwood for those tho don't like the clink in the burn pot and hardwood for those who like a nice loud clank!!

Should we talk about the blower noise?

Eric

peirhead said:
Use softwood pellets..... thats why they sell both types..Softwood for those tho don't like the clink in the burn pot and hardwood for those who like a nice loud clank!!

You are a genius, sir! I tried this after Eric's water trick didn't work and was quite happy with the results. It is a lot easier than placing a piece of foam in the burn pot to cushion the fall. You have no idea how expensive non-combustible foam is!

To reduce blower noise you need to stop the blower from spinning. I have found that plastic forks in the blower tend to slow it down but not bring it to a stop. You need to use a metal fork or Hot Wheel car to get the blades from spinning. So much for class room, now get out there and put what you learned to work.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
To reduce blower noise you need to stop the blower from spinning. I have found that plastic forks in the blower tend to slow it down but not bring it to a stop. You need to use a metal fork or Hot Wheel car to get the blades from spinning. So much for class room, now get out there and put what you learned to work.

Eric

Eric,
You are wise beyond your years. I have implemented both of these solutions and am quite pleased with the outcome. However, now I am finding that the ash is really dirty. Is there a way to make my stove produce clean ash that doesn't leave my fingers dirty?

I can barely hear the pellets fall, maybe you bought the wrong stove.

BubbRubb said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric,
You are wise beyond your years. I have implemented both of these solutions and am quite pleased with the outcome. However, now I am finding that the ash is really dirty. Is there a way to make my stove produce clean ash that doesn't leave my fingers dirty?

The best way to get clean ash is to make a 50/50 solution of bleach and dish washing soap (Dawn is best) and put it in a spray bottle. Simply spray the ash before attempting to handle it and BINGO!, clean ash. ;-)

I can only wonder what kid was involved with the hot wheel and fork blockage. Not that mine has ever done things like that.......................................Mine took the hundred dollar pair of binoculars out of the glove box in my boat and used them to look for fish under water. They didn't work very well so she put them back again. Funny they always had a fog bank in front of every view after that.

peirhead said:

Ohh, c,mon, tell me you didn,t just say that, lol..I've been burning a variety of both the EnergeX-Softwood, and the Lignetics-Hardwood and wifey and i both agree they sound identical.Now maybe if that was a Block of Rock maple, falling off the Confederation Bridge on to a small fishing Vessel as opposed to a chunk of Cedar from Above, hmm, Nope, bet there still gonna make same noise, as is the Fisherman that got Hit by them, lol,,,
Just teasin ya peirhead, keep ya clamdiggers on there, snicker.. :snake:

Status
Not open for further replies.