Are there box stoves besides the Aspen, 602, and 118 that can still be sold new?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I saw a US Stove box stove for sale. It surprised me.

Are there box stoves besides the Aspen, 602, and 118 that can still be sold new? Are there box stoves besides the Aspen, 602, and 118 that can still be sold new? Are there box stoves besides the Aspen, 602, and 118 that can still be sold new?

I don't think the 118 is still being sold, but the Morso 2b standard is still being offered. Not sure if the classic has been brought back, yet.

I’ve seen that stove in hardware stores as well. I think they can get away with it because they’re EPA exempt and no way to regulate the air?

I’ve seen that stove in hardware stores as well. I think they can get away with it because they’re EPA exempt and no way to regulate the air?
I think they get away with it because nobody cares if a handful of these obsolete stoves ever get sold. They generally sit in locally owned hardware stores until it gets offered at such a low price that someone picks it up. I wouldn't mind trying one for a greenhouse heater or something. With no controls you just light it and leave.

US Stove dumped a bunch of pre-2020 box stoves on the market through discount and hardware stores after the 2020 EPA deadline. This is the basis of a lawsuit against them. They still sell this stove, now certified as the US1296E. There are a few new stoves on the market without user air control. This is one of them. The old stove was the 1296E (no US at the beginning of the model name).
I'm surprised someone has not sued them for the deceptive naming, United States Stove, when most of their products are Chinese.