Ashes flying around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manitoba winter may not be upon you yet my fellow Canuck but let's not forget: winter only started 15 days ago. ;)

I know what a Manitoba winter can be like...cold as H3LL and the wind blowing like a hurricane. Hopefully it stays on the mild side ;)

Andrew

This winter has to be the strangest one ever. We broke record temps again all over Manitoba. +11 °C in places. This is unheard of at this time of year. No snow, warm weather, I don't know the sh$t is going to hit the fan soon. Poor guys with snowmobiles!

I'm half way between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg and the weather here is cutting into my Nordic skiing. I went for a ski yesterday but it got much warmer and so the wax was like suction cups. It's melting like crazy today so no more skiing until we get 3 or 4 inches of fresh snow. I had to let the fire go out last night and have a cold stove this morning.

This weather is probably affecting the loggers too that rely on swamps freezing over to get to the Black Ash stands.

+1 on the blower being the issue. I have an insert and it has auto or manual switch and also a high/off/low switch. If I open the door no matter how slowly it will blow ash and sparks into the house. My main ash problem is on clean out. But that is because I never have the patience required to let it cool enough. We also keep a humidifier going. The humidifier keeps the house looking smokey. So that settles the ash immediately.

ditto the blower, it has to be off otherwise it will blow smoke and ash inside, every time, no matter how you open the doors...

We have a BIS Nova, and have never had this issue with the blower running.

We can open the door any time, and as long as its not whipped open, we get no issues with smoke or ash in the house. Only time we get a puff of smoke is if the fire is no longer hot enough to get a good draft.

I doubt the blower is the problem...if it is, you probably have a lot of ash built up inside the unit in front of the blower, so that's a way to check.

I'd guess its the poplar, or that something in the house is pulling negative pressure (dryer, bathroom fan, cookstove fan, etc). Or perhaps the chimney is leaking at the joints and compromising your draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.