Ashford 30.1 smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just looked up some man lifts. That might be what I have to do. I'm going to call my dealer and ask how much they would charge to come out and do it. As little as I want to give them my money it might be my best option.

If I do decide to do it myself do I need to use the same brand, or are brands interchangeable? I'm pretty sure the brand it duratech.

Yes, same brand for sure. Duratech is good stuff and can be bought online and shipped. The hardest part for me would be the roof brace. I hate roof leaks so getting that right is very important.

I'm sorry it has to look so tall above your roof. You chose about the worst possible place to put that stove at the trailing edge of your roof which makes the tall chimney above the roof necessary.

Yes, same brand for sure. Duratech is good stuff and can be bought online and shipped. The hardest part for me would be the roof brace. I hate roof leaks so getting that right is very important.

I'm sorry it has to look so tall above your roof. You chose about the worst possible place to put that stove at the trailing edge of your roof which makes the tall chimney above the roof necessary.
The roof braces make me a little nervous, another reason why I might use dealer.

The stove placement wasn't my first choice. The dealer suggested it to go there to save on chimney costs. Looking back I wish I would have put it where I wanted it to be. It would have been easier to clean. And with the added chimney I might not have smoke smell.

We see too many installations here compromised by short term concerns of cost. Unfortunately some of this is customer driven. When the dealer knows they are bidding on a job they try to keep the bottom line competitive. They leave out options like a block-off plate or higher grade liner or chimney pipe because it's more unusual for a customer to ask them for the best job possible. These options may add another $1000 to the installation cost but should end up with a better performing system in the end.

Reactions: Woody Stover
We see too many installations here compromised by short term concerns of cost. Unfortunately some of this is customer driven. When the dealer knows they are bidding on a job they try to keep the bottom line competitive. They leave out options like a block-off plate or higher grade liner or chimney pipe because it's more unusual for a customer to ask them for the best job possible. These options may add another $1000 to the installation cost but should end up with a better performing system in the end.
I will admit I liked the lower price at the time of install. My dealer also told me my stove would perform fine with 12' of chimney with the 2 45s. I wish I would have listened to the person here who suggested I find a different dealer.

Maybe lean on same dealer for a break due to mis-information. They owe you for this. Bring a copy of page 15 in the manual that clearly states 15' minimum.

Reactions: Calentarse
I'll give that a try. It can't hurt to ask.

I have continually been disappointed by not only my local heating shop, but plenty of other businesses. Customer service is out the window; they just want to get by with as little work as possible. Very sad. I hope you fight to get what's right.

I came home from work today tried smelling the stove and nothing. I'm at about 21 hours into the burn and at the first notch in the active range. I also had the wife try and she sayes she don't smell anything. Could this be do to being about at the end of the burn cycle? Or from difference in outside temps. Right now it's about 47 degrees out. Yesterday it was low to mid 30s.

I came home from work today tried smelling the stove and nothing. Could this be do to being about at the end of the burn cycle? Or from difference in outside temps. Right now it's about 47 degrees out. Yesterday it was low to mid 30s.
When the load is coaling there's less smoke in the box so there's less smell from any leak. If anything, you should have smelled less yesterday when it was cooler out and the stove was drafting better, so I'm guessing there was more smoke in the box (earlier in the burn) when you smelled it yesterday.

When the load is coaling there's less smoke in the box so there's less smell from any leak. If anything, you should have smelled less yesterday when it was cooler out and the stove was drafting better, so I'm guessing there was more smoke in the box (earlier in the burn) when you smelled it yesterday.
Damn I was really hoping the stove gods came and made everything right while I was at work. Gonna load soon and will report back.

You'd be surprised how much those 45's effect your draft. I've had a lot of stoves in here, and if I have to add 45's to meet clearance it makes a difference. Especially with my Ashford! I had 45's in place already so left em, due to draft issues I took em out. Problem solved! I also had a minimum height flue, if elbows are needed add chimney height to compensate. Add 4' to your flue..

Well after loading the stove the smoke smell is back.

Im gonna call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say and get a price on adding 4 foot of chimney. Any guessing on the price?

What i still don't understand is how anything leaks out of the stove.

The other thing I can't decide is, is it worth the money. I can't smell it in the house. I have to put my face right down to the stove just a few inches from the stove to even smell it. And the wife hasn't started complaining yet. What bothers me is its a brand new stove, why is this happening. Sorry for the rant.

What is the hottest temp you've taken the stove top up to?

Well after loading the stove the smoke smell is back.

Im gonna call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say and get a price on adding 4 foot of chimney. Any guessing on the price?

What i still don't understand is how anything leaks out of the stove.

The other thing I can't decide is, is it worth the money. I can't smell it in the house. I have to put my face right down to the stove just a few inches from the stove to even smell it. And the wife hasn't started complaining yet. What bothers me is its a brand new stove, why is this happening. Sorry for the rant.
It sounds very minimal to me then. I've noticed the smell on occasion, but I'm burning a wood fire, so I'm ok with it. It's never bothered me.

It sounds very minimal to me then. I've noticed the smell on occasion, but I'm burning a wood fire, so I'm ok with it. It's never bothered me.
If it was just me in the house I don't think it would bother me as much. But with a 7 week old and a 4 year old in the house I would like there to be no smoke smell.

It is minimal. That's why I'm hesitant to spend the money to add to the chimney when I'm not 100% sure that will fix it.

I called my dealer. They said wood stove's smell like burning wood inside and you will get some smoke smell.

$270 for 4' and $250 in labor.

That answer is a cop out! The only time I get wood smell in my new Ashford is during reload when there is still fuel in the box and I visibly see smoke coming out of the box.

I'm not sure I have never checked it. I thought I read on here that a thermometer on the top of these stoves were pointless due to the jacket around the stove.
Lift the top off and measure the temp there. The reason I ask is that one possible source of the smoke smell could be that the paint hasn't fully baked. The stove body needs to get up to about 500F to do this.

I called my dealer. They said wood stove's smell like burning wood inside and you will get some smoke smell.

$270 for 4' and $250 in labor.

That answer is a cop out! The only time I get wood smell in my new Ashford is during reload when there is still fuel in the box and I visibly see smoke coming out of the box.
Agreed that is total horse poop. What was their excuse for not installing the chimney as specified in the manual?

Agreed that is total horse poop. What was their excuse for not installing the chimney as specified in the manual?
The total is 16'. When they came out to give me a quote they said it only needed to be 12'. At that time I told them I wanted a minimum of 15'. I only knew it needed to be 15' from reading on here.