available firewood next to the stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
I'm kind of curious as to how much wood folks have within reach of their wood stoves ? Is you hearth big enough to have a day or two woods supply within arms reach ? If your burning 24/7 do you need to go out to the wood shed twice a day ? Do you keep just enough close by to not make a mess , & what about kindling ?

My indoor wood rack next to the stove holds 9 ft³ of wood cut at 18". Here is a pic of the rack before I added the stove to the hearth.

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,009
Mainely Saws said:
I'm kind of curious as to how much wood folks have within reach of their wood stoves ? Is you hearth big enough to have a day or two woods supply within arms reach ? If your burning 24/7 do you need to go out to the wood shed twice a day ? Do you keep just enough close by to not make a mess , & what about kindling ?

I keep about 2 days worth just outside the hearth, stacked in a couple of long plastic boot trays that catch a lot of the mess. (Anybody who's really uncomfortable with a little mess probably should switch to a pellet stove.) I have a variable supply of another couple days or so in the storeroom at the back of the house, which leads to my attached woodshed. I draw on that from time to time when I need more wood but it's inconvenient to go all the way out to get it. I also keep a good supply of kindling in a decorative metal bucket near the hearth.

I like to have enough right to hand so that I have some flexibility about when I have to go out for more. Most days, I try to bring in more than a day's worth and gradually build up the "reserves" in the storeroom so I can draw on them now and then when I'm too busy, not feeling well, snowed in, whatever.

Nice hearth Cycloxer, I wish I had that much space near my stove & I try to keep on top of the mess but it certainly isn't as clean as yours ! At the camp I'm going to remove a window right next to the wood stove & put in a firewood storage box that I can access from either outside or inside . It will be about 4 ft. wide , 3 ft. high & about 24 " deep .

I keep about 4-6 days worth next to my stove and since it's in a walk out basement I can just wheelbarrow it on in.

Attachments

• 100_0567.jpg
    100_0567.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 988
The amount of wood next to my stove could last about 3-4 days during peak burning season (obviously longer other times). However, I like for the wood to have time to warm up and get any surface moisture into the air instead of the stove before burning so I generally re-fill every 2-3 days so I think of it as a 2 day supply during peak season with an occasional bonus day off from the refill duty.

With the Fisher Grandma Bear this was 4 days worth of feedings.

With the Englander 30, it's no less than 7 days of burning 24/7.

This winter was colder on average than last for my area also.

pen

Someday I'll get this room finished. Course, it might take me losing my internet connection so that I'm not on hearth.com :)

21810016.jpg

2-3 days worth in a wood box. I splurged when we bought our original VC Encore back in 1986, and also bought the matching cast iron wood box, which is quite beautiful. Fortunately, it complements the Oslo just as well, so that's where we store the wood for immediate use.

I keep a little bit of wood in a small holder next to the stove as a decoration. The splits I put in it were a few that were too long to fit into the stove a couple winters ago. I have this years supply in my garage right now, and have become totally spoiled by having it so close at hand, without having to go out int he weather.

-SF

I am on 10 days so far with the last load I brought in and put in the bins I have in the living room. I'd say there is another 3 days worth there. My goal is to have 2 weeks worth per loading.
It does also help greatly to dry the wood out and add humidity to the indoor air. I bring in approx. between 1/4 & 3/8 of a cord at a time. I haven't kept real good track of it.

I keep a two foot diameter ring- shaped rack next to the stove and use about half per day (evenings).

I need to figure out something for next year. I like cycloxer setup. I saw one of those racks on sale and thought about picking one up. With three stoves I will need to think of an easy setup for bringing in wood and having a decent supply in the house at all times.

The third stove will be over 80 feet away from the Vigilant. On snowy/muddy days that will make a mess.

Good thread! I bring in 16 cubic feet, lasting 3-5 days depending on the weather. Sometimes we have two stoves going, others just one. Both my stoves are pre EPA :shut: (I'm getting a newer one this weekend :) ) I bring the wood into the basement walk out garage, then into the main stove room (the one that burns 24/7,) also in the basement. I usually keep one or two plastic totes worth next to the stove. The totes are 2.2 cubic feet. The past few weeks I've only used about 4 cubic feet of wood/ day. It took me all burning season to get the hang of maximizing heat and minimizing wood consumption. In the beginning of the season, I wasted a lot of wood trying to get the house temps up with my fireplace stove which is non EPA, non air tight. Big waste of time and wood! My basement stove is not EPA rated either, but it's pretty good at creating heat with little amounts of wood, due to a large heat exchanger that lets the flue gasses circulate before they go out.

This week I brought a 1/2 cord into the stove room to get a jump start on drying it for next season. I'll have to take a pic when I find my camera.

My indoor wood rack next to the stove holds 9 ft³ of wood cut at 18”. Here is a pic of the rack before I added the stove to the hearth.
Cycloxer, how long does your supply last in the wood rack?

Nice to see Todd and Pen's pics too!

Attachments

• feb 2009 042.jpg
    feb 2009 042.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 763
  • feb 2009 041.jpg
    feb 2009 041.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 748
  • feb 2009 038.jpg
    feb 2009 038.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 745
I have a round plastic bin the size of my firebox sitting next to the stove. After it gets thrown in the stove another load gets put in its place. One less touch in this material handling game.

four face cords are kept within 6 feet of the stove...........12 feet from the outside door.............20 feet from the woodpile.........all the mess kept in the basement ..........convinient for wood burning

I have a rack 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall that holds 2 days' worth of splits. I keep small stuff and kindling in a couple of ceramic crocks next to the rack. Right now, I have a face cord or so in the basement from which I replenish the upstairs. I plan to build a woodshed this spring. After that, wood will probably come from the shed onto the covered porch and then into the house.

My supply lasts anywhere from 2-5 days depending on whether I burn only in the evenings or for more of the day. My rack is an Enclume, hammered steel, made in the U.S.A. that I bought for $180 a few years ago. It is not cheap, but it is a well built rack that I imagine will last forever..

I can keep 1-2 days next to the stove in a "U" shaped metal rack I got from somewhere (needs a sanding & a coat of Rustoleum this year). Around the corner from the insert I've got a big plastic tote, which is for odd shaped pieces , pine, and kindling.

I keep another 2-3 days, atleast, just inside the back door in milk crates & vortex totes if the weather is going to be really nasty. I set those up on some plastic sheeting for easy clean up.

I had 1 month outside on the deck this year, and all of a sudden the temperture dropped, and we had a blizzard before Christmas. I got caught unprepared >:-( . This coming season, it won't happen again.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I can keep 1-2 days next to the stove in a "U" shaped metal rack I got from somewhere (needs a sanding & a coat of Rustoleum this year). Around the corner from the insert I've got a big plastic tote, which is for odd shaped pieces , pine, and kindling.

I keep another 2-3 days, atleast, just inside the back door in milk crates & vortex totes if the weather is going to be really nasty. I set those up on some plastic sheeting for easy clean up.

I had 1 month outside on the deck this year, and all of a sudden the temperture dropped, and we had a blizzard before Christmas. I got caught unprepared >:-( . This coming season, it won't happen again.

Tisk tisk........cleavage......................;) Oops, sorry, that just was the first thing in my head.
Both a horse and a man have something in common, both dump you, though generally you get over the horse’s dumping first.” Unknown
Hows the rest go, git back on and ride him again?

Hogwildz said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Tisk tisk........cleavage......................;) Oops, sorry, that just was the first thing in my head.
Both a horse and a man have something in common, both dump you, though generally you get over the horse’s dumping first.” Unknown
Hows the rest go, git back on and ride him again?

LOL !!!

I dunno. The last time I got dumped, I was smart enough to lay on the ground and start breathing again. Horse was looking at me like "what ARE you doing down there?". You get champagne for a dumping :coolsmile: Fresh baked cookies if you are the under age dumpee.

Last time I got dumped by a man, I made a stand. And stuck to it.

Pinnacle was the Dixette graduating college . I stll had the horse that dumped me ;-)

Anyways, to the OP..there can be alot of options for wood storage. Ya gotta start thinking outside of the box:)

I like to keep a few sticks handy for early morning startups. About 128 cu.ft. usually does it.

Attachments

• Wood-Supply.jpg
    Wood-Supply.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 732
The woodbox I made keeps a bit more than 24 hours of burning (deep winter) . . . about a day and a half or more worth of burning when the temps are like they are this week (mid to high 30s during the day and a balmy 20 degrees or so at night).

On the porch (about 35 feet away) I have enough wood for 1 1/2 weeks . . . which I refill every weekend.

We keep wood on the porch which is not very far from the stove. During winter my wife will bring in enough wood each night for the night's burn and the next morning's reload. She does get carried away though and most times we end up with enough wood for 24 hours. Spring and fall we just walk out on the porch and grab some wood.

Kindling is something that is rarely used but we do keep a little bit on the porch just in case. The last time we used any kindling was in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.