available firewood next to the stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the house: wood comes in as needed from the covered area on the back of the house (2-3 cord). We put the carrier load in an old copper laundry kettle next to the hearth. If I'm the one who loads the stove at night I always bring in wood for the morning; the spousal unit isn't nearly as assiduous. But since I leave before he does and usually retire to bed before he does I don't much care about the wood supply for the morning.

In the studio: woodbox (large plastic storage container) is always refilled as it's emptied (MY domain). It holds about 3 days worth of wood. The wood supply for that stove is farther away and requires some snow blowing for easy access. I like to be prepared for crummy weather. It's a "girl thing", I guess.

Our 'woodshed' is a connected barn. Either just before ni-nite or whilst the a.m. coffee is percolating (as the morning's fire is akindle), I step out the kitchen door into the breezeway go into the barn to grab 3 big armfuls and pile in a woodbox 3' from the stove. That will last my wife all day, into the evening, and usually into the next morning (I intentionally bring in some pine and punky wood for next days kindling.)

Good point, Trade., but maybe more exposure over time could spur a lazy or under-taxed immune system to increased activity? And maybe those "experts" are doing little more than furthering their own importance... . ;)

I kept my wood about 12" from the stove in a wood ring. One on each side of the stove. That made for nice dry wood

Franks said:
I kept my wood about 12" from the stove in a wood ring. One on each side of the stove. That made for nice dry wood

:bug:

Wow! I've charred wood keeping it that close. I don't do that anymore. What's the max temp of the sides of your stove?

My wood stack is 36" from the side of the stove and a full 45" away from the front. Gets plenty dry there.

The sides dont get higher than 200-250 degrees. I kept them that close so I could fit a stove and two wood rings in my hearth.

The left side of my stove is surrounded with a red oak heat shield. Was very green a month ago when I placed them and is still very green lol! Actually the ends have started to crack but still very heavy.

pen said:
With the Fisher Grandma Bear this was 4 days worth of feedings.

With the Englander 30, it's no less than 7 days of burning 24/7.

This winter was colder on average than last for my area also.

pen

Someday I'll get this room finished. Course, it might take me losing my internet connection so that I'm not on hearth.com :)

21810016.jpg

will that rack last you 7 days the way it sits? or filled? Just trying to get an idea of how much wood i will use next year once it is seasoned well. I have the same stove in same climate (sorta, i am a little further south).

a week's worth and three week's of kindling

IMAG0055Medium.jpg

Archer39 said:
will that rack last you 7 days the way it sits? or filled? Just trying to get an idea of how much wood i will use next year once it is seasoned well. I have the same stove in same climate (sorta, i am a little further south).

Completely full it's 7+ days in the middle of winter.

Things have been a little warmer this week.

I took that picture last night, and filled the box monday morning. I've got enough wood still left in that side to fill the stove up again tomorrow morning. I'll be closer to 11 days on this full load and still burning 24 / 7.

You won't do that if the wood is not FULLY seasoned though :) Make sure it's dry. I just can't get over the difference between this and the fisher.

pen

We keep what seems to be about a days worth when it's single digits at night/20's in the day, but probably at least two days worth once it gets warmer out, indoors.
Have a rack on the porch that holds a full rick, for next year I intend to be able to have 2 ricks on the porch, in seperate "bays" so when one empties, I can start using wood from the other and reload when weather permits.

Attachments

• phpoP6mfHPM.jpg
    phpoP6mfHPM.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 275
I have a low, long wood rack. I put cinderblocks in the center to: 1. keep wood 15" from stove 2. Make 2 wood stacks. I work one down to empty, refill it, then work the other. Each side gives 3-4 days of hard burning.

Attachments

• woodrack1.jpg
    woodrack1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 227
I like to only bring in enough wood to get me threw the night or a few splits for the wife to throw in during the day. Resone being that I dont want to bring in any bugs such as post powder beetles or termites.
Anyone who has had either of these Knowes what a nightmare that can be.

I got a stack of about a weeks worth +/- depending on the weather, need to get a picture of it tho.

This is what mine looks like when everything is full.

IMG_0299.gif

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

and my wood rack on my porch right outside my door.

IMG_0304.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.