Avalon Astoria Firebrick Removal ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRF

Nov 6, 2012
Hello !

I have a a Avalon Astoria that is either a 2006 or 2007. I the firebrick supposed to be taken out and cleaned behind? Frequency? I cant get mine out? Suggestions? What am I missing?

Thanks !!

my Newport bay has two retainers on each side of the firebrick that need to be lifted for removal. if its been a long time they might be seized.

not sure if the Astoria is the same or not...

Do you have the manual?

The Astoria has 2 clips in the upper corners. You slide them, then remove them....the "firebrick" lifts right out.

I have an 2007 owners manual I can send you if you need it.

And yes, it should be removed during cleaning.

Hello

You can remove it and paint it, here is what I did.
Which color scheme do you like better?

I painted the entire firebox and top heat exchanger baffles VHT Flame Proof 2,000 Deg F flat black.
Then painted the back of the fire box flat black.

Then 1200 Deg F Stove Bright copper on the firebrick with the Surf Sand on the mortar for 1 finish look
or
White VHT flame proof for the mortar and Stove Bright SurfSand for the firebrick in the last pic!

Attachments

• 120811062937_avalonastoria1beforepainting2.jpg
    120811062937_avalonastoria1beforepainting2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 120811062925_avalonastoria2afterpainting2 (1).jpg
    120811062925_avalonastoria2afterpainting2 (1).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 162
Some of the older versions of that plate did not have the relief cut under the drop chute and the heat would warp the plate thus making it kinda a wicked pain to get out. You have to lift and lean it forward slightly. There isnt much behind it and of you cannot get it totally out, vacuum what you can and say good enough. Cleaning the back through the side access doors is time better spent.

You can remove it and paint it, here is what I did.
Which color scheme do you like better?

Then 1200 Deg F Stove Bright copper on the firebrick with the Surf Sand on the mortar for 1 finish look......

Gee Don, I wonder where you got that idea from?
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.