Baby, it's cold outside! (settings)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
(OK, those of you in the far North can start laughing now...)

Here in the US Mid-Atlantic (MD near DC), after a couple of mild winters, getting a cold blast right now. 30F outside, mid-day, 15 degrees below average. House is not as warm as we'd like, 74F in the living room where the Harman Accentra insert resides but the thermostat is 24' away from the stove. Most other rooms in the 60's and one far room at 59.5; well, I guess shorts and T-shirts are not going to cut it.

The stove is on Stove Temp, turned to the barely-on position, as always. Temp level is as 2.75 (in the autumn and most of last winter had is at 2 or 2-1/2 max), feed rate 3.5. Flame tips vary from just above the center crossbar of the medallion to just below.

OK, if I crank it up to, say, 3.5 on Temp, will I get some indication that I am outstripping the Feed Rate and need to turn that up too?

I guess this is what I get for leaving the settings in one place year after year -- it works, so...

Here in the US Mid-Atlantic (MD near DC), after a couple of mild winters, getting a cold blast right now. 30F outside, mid-day, 15 degrees below average. House is not as warm as we'd like, 74F in the living room where the Harman Accentra insert resides but the thermostat is 24' away from the stove. Most other rooms in the 60's and one far room at 59.5; well, I guess shorts and T-shirts are not going to cut it.

The stove is on Stove Temp, turned to the barely-on position, as always. Temp level is as 2.75 (in the autumn and most of last winter had is at 2 or 2-1/2 max), feed rate 3.5. Flame tips vary from just above the center crossbar of the medallion to just below.

OK, if I crank it up to, say, 3.5 on Temp, will I get some indication that I am outstripping the Feed Rate and need to turn that up too?

I guess this is what I get for leaving the settings in one place year after year -- it works, so...

It's 6*F here right now with a low of -6*F forecast for tonight........so yes you made me chuckle with your cold weather problem. Why not run on room temperature mode and let your stove warm things up? My P43 has happily run on room temperature all fall and winter keeping a nice even temperature despite variation in outside temperatures from the high 40s to colder than -10*F.

YMMV,

Hugh

Reactions: railfanron
I run my Harmon XXV in room temp mode all the time. Put it in Manual after it's going. Feed rate I set for 3 and forget it except when in test mode for cleaning. Harmons adjust the feed rate anyway to keep the temp at set point. Mine is 74. Even when -10f outside it's 74f. Just burn more pellets

Thanks. Wow, not sure I could handle that climate.

Not sure about how Room temp might help, I'll think it over but I do not have a remote thermostat for the stove.

Well, I decided to experiment, temp is now at about 3.5, and the Mode Switch (had to look up what it is called), instead of barely one in Stove Temp, I turned it up to pointing at the O in STOVE. More noise/sounds form the stove now, no surprise there. Let's see if it helps.

I read the owner's manual and operating instructions help not at all.

By the way, took a instant-read thermometer and stuck it <1 inch into the output duct. Stabilized at about 184.5F, before changing the settings.

It's 6*F here right now with a low of -6*F forecast for tonight........so yes you made me chuckle with your cold weather problem. Why not run on room temperature mode and let your stove warm things up? My P43 has happily run on room temperature all fall and winter keeping a nice even temperature despite variation in outside temperatures from the high 40s to colder than -10*F.

YMMV,

Hugh

Thanks. Wow, not sure I could handle that climate.

Not sure about how Room temp might help, I'll think it over but I do not have a remote thermostat for the stove.

Well, I decided to experiment, temp is now at about 3.5, and the Mode Switch (had to look up what it is called), instead of barely one in Stove Temp, I turned it up to pointing at the O in STOVE. More noise/sounds form the stove now, no surprise there. Let's see if it helps.

I read the owner's manual and operating instructions help not at all.

By the way, took a instant-read thermometer and stuck it <1 inch into the output duct. Stabilized at about 184.5F, before changing the settings.
I must have misunderstood when you mentioned that “the thermostat is 24’ from the stove”.

I must have misunderstood when you mentioned that “the thermostat is 24’ from the stove”.

Fair enough! The thermostat for the boiler is just the only place in the room where I get a reading.

Hey, the temp in that room is now up to 75F after bumping up the settings. I guess I am not yet outstripping the feed rate?

Fair enough! The thermostat for the boiler is just the only place in the room where I get a reading.

Hey, the temp in that room is now up to 75F after bumping up the settings. I guess I am not yet outstripping the feed rate?
Feed rate of 3.5 should be ok. I say this to so many people that I can’t keep track but have you read the Sticky at the top of this page about how to properly operate a Harman? It’s great info. I run mine in Room Temp mode all the time. When it’s this cold I switch the igniter to manual.... haven’t run Stove Temp in a very long time. Link is also in my signature

Reactions: railfanron

Hi Tiger,

If your stove is the regular Accentra insert it can input up to 5lb per hour of pellets at maximum input. Five X 24 = 120lb or 3 bags per day. How many bags per day are you burning? If it's only a bag and a half or so you're only running at 50% of the stove's maximum output. Two bags per day would be 2/3s of its maximum. Does the stove have a room temperature sensor wire plugged in? If so you ought to be able to run it in room temperature mode which makes more sense to me under varying conditions.

Attachments

• Harman Room Air temperature wire.jpg
    Harman Room Air temperature wire.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 105
Hi Tiger, If your stove is the regular Accentra insert it can input up to 5lb per hour of pellets at maximum input. Five X 24 = 120lb or 3 bags per day. How many bags per day are you burning? If it's only a bag and a half or so you're only running at 50% of the stove's maximum output. Two bags per day would be 2/3s of its maximum. Does the stove have a room temperature sensor wire plugged in? If so you ought to be able to run it in room temperature mode which makes more sense to me under varying conditions.

I've recently hit the ONE bag per day rate; previously, well under that, maybe up to a day and a half between bags -- but we turn it off at night now, so it's on at perhaps 7:30AM, turn off at 10:30.

I do not think I've seen a wire like that when the insert is pulled out for cleaning, I can look for it. Certainly no remote thermostat, but if I decided to, running a wire under the floor to the far end of the room or elsewhere would not be difficult (I think!)

Feed rate of 3.5 should be ok. I say this to so many people that I can’t keep track but have you read the Sticky at the top of this page about how to properly operate a Harman? It’s great info. I run mine in Room Temp mode all the time. When it’s this cold I switch the igniter to manual.... haven’t run Stove Temp in a very long time. Link is also in my signature

I've read part of it, soon after getting the stove - but not all 152 posts! Time to review, I guess. I've never ever run in room temp. Thanks for "Feed rate of 3.5 should be ok", starting a second day at the higher levels -- if I want, I can simply go back to the lower settings in a few days.

You only need to read the original post. It’s the most comprehensive description that I have seen. With all due respect I don’t think you understand what the feed rate is and how it works...and you aren’t alone.
See if you can find your room temp sensor. When properly attached it will open up a whole new world for you If you operate in Room Temp mode.

I've recently hit the ONE bag per day rate; previously, well under that, maybe up to a day and a half between bags -- but we turn it off at night now, so it's on at perhaps 7:30AM, turn off at 10:30.

I do not think I've seen a wire like that when the insert is pulled out for cleaning, I can look for it. Certainly no remote thermostat, but if I decided to, running a wire under the floor to the far end of the room or elsewhere would not be difficult (I think!)

I've read part of it, soon after getting the stove - but not all 152 posts! Time to review, I guess. I've never ever run in room temp. Thanks for "Feed rate of 3.5 should be ok", starting a second day at the higher levels -- if I want, I can simply go back to the lower settings in a few days.

If you're burning 1 bag i.e. 40 lbs per 15 hours that's ~ 2.67 lb per hour or only a bit over half the stove's maximum input. There's a lot more heat output capacity there you haven't tapped yet.

My infrared thermometer shows that the metal directly adjacent to the air output ducts on my P-43 is at 446*F at the moment. Not sure about the air being emitted but it's certainly toasty warm. It is 0*F outside at the moment.

Hugh

Reactions: Ssyko

The owner's manual shows how the temperature sensing wire is to be installed. Who installed your stove? Was it already in a house you purchased? If a dealer did it for you I'd say they did you a disservice it they didn't install the wire and instruct you in its use.

Attachments

• Connecting room sensor wire - Copy.PNG
    Connecting room sensor wire - Copy.PNG
    318.1 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Ssyko
The owner's manual shows how the temperature sensing wire is to be installed. Who installed your stove? Was it already in a house you purchased? If a dealer did it for you I'd say they did you a disservice it they didn't install the wire and instruct you in its use.

Little confidence in installer, 99.44% sure they are now out of business. These are the guys who didn't tell me there was a pellet shortage until a week after installation and I tried to order more pellets. Well, there's this group and I betcha I can find out more about this process.

You only need to read the original post. It’s the most comprehensive description that I have seen. With all due respect I don’t think you understand what the feed rate is and how it works...and you aren’t alone.
See if you can find your room temp sensor. When properly attached it will open up a whole new world for you If you operate in Room Temp mode.

Dead certain I do not know much about Feed Rate, the owner's manual says little, I need to read more. That said, I usually get "enough" heat out of the unit. Eventually I'll ramp up on attempting Room Temp.

My infrared thermometer shows that the metal directly adjacent to the air output ducts on my P-43 is at 446*F at the moment. Not sure about the air being emitted but it's certainly toasty warm. It is 0*F outside at the moment. Hugh

Hey, I have one of those point-n-shoot thermometers, I should try that. I somehow doubt I see 446F anywhere on the outside of the stove, but I could be wrong.

If you're burning 1 bag i.e. 40 lbs per 15 hours that's ~ 2.67 lb per hour or only a bit over half the stove's maximum input. There's a lot more heat output capacity there you haven't tapped yet.

I guess I could "turn it up to eleven" (OK, 7 on the dial). By the way, I've been getting 78F-79F the last, hmm, two days, on the revised settings. Reasonably comfortable, as long as within a decent distance of the stove. Wife practicing guitar in the far room with the door closed yesterday, I think the thermometer I put in there read 61F. Yeah, I figure plenty of BTU's to be had, but at a far corner of the house... uh, that's where the fireplace is.

I have a Harman P68, which is quite a bit bigger than your insert, but I think the principles are still the same.

I have never used Stove Temp mode, and will never use it. It just runs at that setting continuously whether you need the heat or not or whether you want more heat or not. You constantly have to fiddle with the knob to get the room temperature you want, because the stove doesn't care what temperature the room is, it's going to run at that setting, period.

I have mine on Room Temp, igniter disabled. We run it all night and shut it off sometime in the morning, then kick it back on for the afternoon or evening (depending on outside temp...). The stove gets hot like a wood stove, and the fan kicks on and off based on demand for heat. The pellet feed will adjust based on demand for heat as well.

Set your feed rate somewhere and leave it. Mine is set at 4, and I don't touch it. The stove knows how to change the feed rate automatically (up to your setting) to achieve the temperature you have it set at.

I used to run it on Auto Igniter, which kicks on and off and on and off... the stove gets hot and then shuts down, then gets cold and the house cools down, then it kicks back on.... that's 110V of electricity every time you start it! It's basically a forced hot air furnace (which I HATE).

Here are my settings. The igniter is lit up because I just turned the stove on.

When shutting the stove off I turn the Room Temp dial to the middle (OFF), then flip the igniter switch up to auto. This makes the distribution fan kick on and push the heat out into the room as the stove cools down.

When I turn the stove on, I turn the Room Temp dial all the way to the right (as shown) and then immediately flip the igniter to disabled. The igniter will turn on to light the stove the first time, then the stove will fire up and get cooking. Once it reaches the temperature in the setting, the stove will idle down and trickle pellets out just to stay lit. As I said before, the fan will turn on and off and pellet feed will go up and down based on demand for heat.

You can set the room temp fan speed to whatever you want... I like it full blast to get the most out of the pellets I've paid for... but it is loud, so sometimes we'll turn it to a lower setting.

Attachments

• 20210201_120810.jpg
    20210201_120810.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 109