Back to Shoulder Season Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
;hm :eek:

After 2 1/2 weeks of nice and sunny 70's to upper 80's and no rain here in Western Oregon, today's high was mid 50's and 12 degrees colder than normal and raining. I've had to burn the wood stove the past couple of nights again. I came home from work yesterday and today, and the house was about 62::F and chilly, so after dinner I cranked up the stove. It's 72::F in here now. A couple more days of this, and we are back to sunshine. Last year, I had the stove going a couple times even in June.

I broke into my small stash of 3 year seasoned apple wood. That stuff is very light weight now and burns HOT. One small piece of apple and two small pieces of fir, and the stove was rippin'! I've been using the apple for cooking on the BBQ. Since I cut more apple wood a couple weeks ago, I have more cooking supply now, and wanted to try the apple in the stove. The results are in.......fantastic wood!

Anyone else still burning wood?

Reactions: ScotO
I broke into my small stash of 3 year seasoned apple wood. That stuff is very light weight now and burns HOT.
I thought Apple was dense, high-BTU wood. I figured it would be rather heavy, even dry...

Apple is a higher BTU wood, but not as dense as locust. I save all my apple wood for cooking and smoking. When it comes to firewood, NOTHING smells as good as applewood smoldering on the fire!!

Apple is a higher BTU wood, but not as dense as locust. I save all my apple wood for cooking and smoking. When it comes to firewood, NOTHING smells as good as applewood smoldering on the fire!!

Have you tried smoking with Mulberry? Similar to Apple in my opinion......great smoker wood!

No I haven't, Danny. If I ever get my hands on some I'll give it a try. I have a cord of applewood so that's mainly what I use. I have a small mulberry tree growing at the back of my property, when I prune it back I'll save the branches for cooking!

Oregon Bigfoot, last year in June or July we had two nights in the low 30's, burned Cherry to take the chill off.

zap

I think I was burning on Saturday . . . in the pool on Sunday. Haven't had a fire going since last Saturday . . .

yesterday morning in the basement. me and the wife were training down there and it was defintely damp and chilly. literally a couple of pieces of bark, one old 2x4 scrap and a 1/2 cherry cookie. by afternoon we had the garage doors open. also had a fire upstairs a few nights ago. if the house is in the low 60's, we'll light a fire.

Any apple we get will be saved for burning in mid-winter. Hopefully the stove will rest not until September or October. A heat wave coming at us now but we are far enough into late spring that any cold spells will be short lived and the nights are much, much shorter now. Holy cow, we are only a month away from the longest day of the year. That also means the shortest night of the year.

Got home tonight and its 64 in the house and 52 outside and pouring rain :confused: . Threw in some tamarack splits and away we go...

An apple wood fire, bet the smoke smelled nice :)

Our warmest day yet. 67 today. (mid 40s at night)
I let the furnace take the chill off in the AM. No fire for a week. But have yet to do the final yearly cleaning just in case.

Burning the central A/C at my place last few nights. Warm and damp here in the northern suburbs of NYC.

I shut my stove down well over a month ago. For the $15-20 I'll spend in nat gas to heat the house it's worth it vs screwing with the stove and having it 130* in the house, smokey (poor draft), etc. I don't mind spending the time to load it up in the winter, "set it and forget it" but I'm not wasting hours a day screwing with it for sure!

Not to mention that even when it's 45-50* outside, if the sun is out and I open the window blinds, the house is going to get in the 70s. It's nice not living in a house with screens for walls like I think many of you have going on!

Status
Not open for further replies.