Baffle messed up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unknown how large the issue is. Travis hybrid stoves and inserts have only been on the market for a few years. We have a few reports similar to yours but that is a very small sampling out of the many owners out there. Folks come here because they have problems. The folks that are happy and have no issues don't tell us.

It's unknown how large the issue is. Travis hybrid stoves and inserts have only been on the market for a few years. We have a few reports similar to yours but that is a very small sampling out of the many owners out there. Folks come here because they have problems. The folks that are happy and have no issues don't tell us.

Very true!

The cat looks great. Just some fly ash on it. I was told by them once a year to take it out, put it on the grill over high hear on some tin foil, and take a small paint bristle brush and brush off any ash on it. I haven't done that yet because I have no needed to.

I would also think if it's under warranty it should be covered. That's strange.
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Do not remove the cat unless absolutely necessary. It's very fragile, and you'll need to replace gaskets.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Do not remove the cat unless absolutely necessary. It's very fragile, and you'll need to replace gaskets.

The salesman in the store took out the cat from one of the floor models. It was really simple, just had to reached up and in to remove it. He also let me do the same to the model inside the store. He didnt take anything apart to get the cat out.

The salesman in the store took out the cat from one of the floor models. It was really simple, just had to reached up and in to remove it. He also let me do the same to the model inside the store. He didnt take anything apart to get the cat out.
That's correct, but you do not want to remove unnecessarily. There is no reason to remove it or cook it on the grill.

Cat on a grill? I dont know . I was told at the same store that I can turn this hybrid in regular secondary combustion stove by removing the cat and it's ok to do so if I dont want cat version.

I don't tink so Lucy. That would uncertify the stove.

Cat on a grill? I dont know . I was told at the same store that I can turn this hybrid in regular secondary combustion stove by removing the cat and it's ok to do so if I dont want cat version.

Yes. I was told the same thing. If the cat is broken you can still run the stove. I'm not going to take it out unless I have to clean out the fly ash on it that I cannot remove with a brush.

Yes. I was told the same thing. If the cat is broken you can still run the stove. I'm not going to take it out unless I have to clean out the fly ash on it that I cannot remove with a brush.
A shop vac and brush will remove anything that builds up on it. No grilling required!;lol

With all those flames pouring through it, there's nothing but fly ash on that cat.

I figured I would update everybody with this issue. I called the place where I got it from and they are going to send out a tech on October 17th. I guess I will know more than when the technician comes out. Let's hope for the best

Hey , thank you for update , I'm probably not gonna remove my baffle until I hear what these guys gonna say. October 17 is far away though. They probably busy at this time of the year.

I have hammered mild steels baffles back to flat. Most times you are gonna be dodging surface chips flying off of it while you do.

Used to have to do it with my old stove every couple of years. Until I learned to just drive my truck over it..

I have hammered mild steels baffles back to flat. Most times you are gonna be dodging surface chips flying off of it while you do.

Used to have to do it with my old stove every couple of years. Until I learned to just drive my truck over it..
This particular baffle is made from very thin stainless. It's difficult to get a good hand hold on it. A bench vise would be helpful.

I used a piece of lumber and a 2 pound sledge hammer to pound out the baffle on my 2 month old cape cod that cost over $3,000!

Last edited:
I was thinking about using my log splitter , but driving over seems like a good idea too

And people bad mouth the "flimsy" ceramic fiber board baffles. Go figure.

My ceramic fiber board baffle has been sitting there since 2006.

Reactions: webby3650
I was thinking about using my log splitter , but driving over seems like a good idea too

Helps if it is a 7,100 pound Suburban. ;lol

Coudn't wait until 17th when your people gonna take a look at it. "Dissasembled" mine today to get the baffle out.
Relatively easy: after removing secondary air tubes it's just falls down.

The bad news : its warped more than it looked when it was in. Need to figure out the way to make it flat again. Front runners : Driving over with heavy truck (Dont think regular car will do, It's quite beefy), or log splitter force somehow. The other option they suggested at dealer is to hammer it back to flat.

The good news : even if its not 100% flat and some gases will go around it on a sides it;s not going straight to the flue. If bypass is closed evryrthing should go trough the box where cat is. The cat seats very tight in it. It's quite sturdy and made of 3/8 steel.

Pics are coming in next post.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Coudn't wait until 17th when your people gonna take a look at it. "Dissasembled" mine today to get the baffle out.
Relatively easy: after removing secondary air tubes it's just falls down.

The bad news : its warped more than it looked when it was in. Need to figure out the way to make it flat again. Front runners : Driving over with heavy truck (Dont think regular car will do, It's quite beefy), or log splitter force somehow. The other option they suggested at dealer is to hammer it back to flat.

The good news : even if its not 100% flat and some gases will go around it on a sides it;s not going straight to the flue. If bypass is closed evryrthing should go trough the box where cat is. The cat seats very tight in it. It's quite sturdy and made of 3/8 steel.

Pics are coming in next post.

Wow .Thanks for the response .So the baffle, even if warped, won't affect anything? How did you take it out? I am eagerly waiting for the guy to come over and check it out . Do you think it will affect the performance of the stove?

Wow .Thanks for the response .So the baffle, even if warped, won't affect anything? How did you take it out? I am eagerly waiting for the guy to come over and check it out . Do you think it will affect the performance of the stove?
The baffle just laying on a tubes. Once you remove two front tubes it comes down . There is a layer of insulation between baffle and chamber for cat. It's kinda like a shelf laying on tubes. It's not air tight, you can move it a little . It's just supports insulation. It's less then 1/2 of insulation. I don't see how some warping will affect it greatly. They even have instruction in a manual how to remove the baffle, so I think it's not uncommon occurrence .

I've hammered it back to original shape, put back in and had my first fire of the season. And what do you know , After stove got back to working temp the baffle changed it's shape a little , sumular to how it was before. At this point I'm not worry about it, unless it warped real bad. And if it will, Ill just make it flat again with my hammer.

Wondering what is your guy gonna say.

The baffle just laying on a tubes. Once you remove two front tubes it comes down . There is a layer of insulation between baffle and chamber for cat. It's kinda like a shelf laying on tubes. It's not air tight, you can move it a little . It's just supports insulation. It's less then 1/2 of insulation. I don't see how some warping will affect it greatly. They even have instruction in a manual how to remove the baffle, so I think it's not uncommon occurrence .

I've hammered it back to original shape, put back in and had my first fire of the season. And what do you know , After stove got back to working temp the baffle changed it's shape a little , sumular to how it was before. At this point I'm not worry about it, unless it warped real bad. And if it will, Ill just make it flat again with my hammer.

Wondering what is your guy gonna say.

Yeah I am wondering too .Thank you for the time to respond and look into it. I guess that's a good thing that it is not going to hinder performance .I also had our first fire yesterday and seemed to do just fine . I will let you know what they have to say!

The baffle in the insert is very different than the free stander. The way the plate steel baffle warps doesn't look like too big of a deal. On the stove, the baffle is very thin stainless. It warps and curls unpredictably during the burn and then relaxes to an extent once it cools down.

Status
Not open for further replies.