Barefoot, Okanagan or Cubex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladderlieu said:
Good God! If I could find all three at the same dealer I would think I'd died and gone to heaven!!! All three praised highly on this board, so it's pretty much a toss up. I favor Okanagans myself. Price might be the deciding factor there.

Ironically, we sell all 3, but are quite a drive away from you to make a pickup worth it... you are more than welcome to come up and roll around on the pallets of pellets, however.. just keep yer clothes on!

BTU said:
again a very good deal and I do know what those cost and BT is making next to nothing...load up if that is your pellet of choice....

I can vouche for that: at 230/ ton for most of the pellets talked about here, then we'd be in the hole after waste, storage, labor, propane in the forklift, etc.. 230/ tonyou're making about 10 cents a bag. couple wet bag would blow any profit.. they must have bought hundreds upon hundreds of ton at once....

summit said:
Ladderlieu said:
Good God! If I could find all three at the same dealer I would think I'd died and gone to heaven!!! All three praised highly on this board, so it's pretty much a toss up. I favor Okanagans myself. Price might be the deciding factor there.

Ironically, we sell all 3, but are quite a drive away from you to make a pickup worth it... you are more than welcome to come up and roll around on the pallets of pellets, however.. just keep yer clothes on!

I think it would be more fun to open a few bags of each, dumping them in a big pile and roll around IN them...

I found the trick to Cubex in a Quad is to not empty the burn pot as often. I let the ash build up to about 1" depth and it seemed to clean the bottom plate off for some reason. If I tried to clean it twice a day like I was it would jam up and not want to open very easy.

jtakeman did they tell you how long the sale is going on for??

smile, you want more? LOL j/k

I know you got the 4 tons of barefoot, I assume you like them a lot.

Feedback on Cubex: only negative thing is that the pellets are bunching up in the burn pot, the greene team for example pulverize literally after burning a few hours, the cubies seem to be either harder or I don't know but they seem to be bunching up..........I think this englander is just so picky...!!!

stove is clean, couple weeks ago I cleaned the pipes outside using the trick we all know plus a good cleaning inside.

On the other hand I've been burning the cheaper Juniata in the Quad Santa Fe and burns fine, I mean this Santa Fe burns anything and it is not so picky.

smilejamaica said:
smile, They will be this price until the mills raise them as far as I know. They will keep them low for most of the summer while sales are generally down. Most people don't purchase pellet durring the summer months. These sales are to get things rolling and help support the mills, and pellet sellers while most people are spending there cash on summer activities.

geek said:

I think smile has the pellet swine flue bug and can't help but hording some cubies! :) :lol:

geek said:
Feedback on Cubex: only negative thing is that the pellets are bunching up in the burn pot, the greene team for example pulverize literally after burning a few hours, the cubies seem to be either harder or I don't know but they seem to be bunching up..........I think this englander is just so picky...!!!

stove is clean, couple weeks ago I cleaned the pipes outside using the trick we all know plus a good cleaning inside.

On the other hand I've been burning the cheaper Juniata in the Quad Santa Fe and burns fine, I mean this Santa Fe burns anything and it is not so picky.

geek,
Treat the cubies like a softwood pellet. More air - less feed. They are very dense oak, which is why they are hot! Some stoves just need to have the feed rate backed down some. They need a little more time to burn completely.

Otherwise, Do you like em?
jay

jay, yes I DO like them otherwise, very good heat and very low fines in the bag, very clean pellet...........

I've been running my englander with more air, right now at 4-6-1.

If an englnader owner has experienced the cubies please tell me the best heat/air combination for the 3 buttons, mac you there?

plus the stove glass seems to be a bit cleaner with the cubies, more cleaner.

geek said:

i do have 4 tons plus 1 1/2 of new england but was thinking of getting one more ton at a good price cubex sounds good.... too good to resist

jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
smile, They will be this price until the mills raise them as far as I know. They will keep them low for most of the summer while sales are generally down. Most people don't purchase pellet durring the summer months. These sales are to get things rolling and help support the mills, and pellet sellers while most people are spending there cash on summer activities.

geek said:

I think smile has the pellet swine flue bug and can't help but hording some cubies! :) :lol:

geek said:

geek,
Treat the cubies like a softwood pellet. More air - less feed. They are very dense oak, which is why they are hot! Some stoves just need to have the feed rate backed down some. They need a little more time to burn completely.

Otherwise, Do you like em?
jay
jay you are right i do want some cubex

geek said:
jay, yes I DO like them otherwise, very good heat and very low fines in the bag, very clean pellet...........

I've been running my englander with more air, right now at 4-6-1.

If an englnader owner has experienced the cubies please tell me the best heat/air combination for the 3 buttons, mac you there?

Hey Geek. Sorry, can't help on the settings for Cubex.....still haven't burned the 2 bags I traded with Jay for. Hasn't been that cold, and I'll save them for next winter's colder months.

Maybe turn the feed down a little.....maybe try 3-6-1

jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
jay

If they bought pellets low in the summer, they could spend an extra few days on vacation every year or buy steak instead of baloney. Pride in paying more for the same pellet? I appreciate that if it keeps our price lower! We should keep this quiet. :zip: ;)

My local price is still high. Heat'rs $325/ton+$28 tax=$353/ton. $318 for 'bargain' Golden Fire pellets from Lowe's. Could anyone FedX a few tons of those bargain pellets here? ;)

Burning more pellets (Heat'rs from Arizona tonight),
Jay :)

Boom said:
jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
jay

If they bought pellets low in the summer, they could spend an extra few days on vacation every year or buy steak instead of baloney. Pride in paying more for the same pellet? I appreciate that if it keeps our price lower! We should keep this quiet. :zip: ;)

My local price is still high. Heat'rs $325/ton+$28 tax=$353/ton. $318 for 'bargain' Golden Fire pellets from Lowe's. Could anyone FedX a few tons of those bargain pellets here? ;)

Burning more pellets (Heat'rs from Arizona tonight),
Jay :)
boom you cant be burning to much pellets were your at .are you near "LA" it cant get that cold there ??? or can it.

smilejamaica said:
boom you cant be burning to much pellets were your at .are you near "LA" it cant get that cold there ??? or can it.

I'm between Los Angeles and Las Vegas at 5,000 feet above sea level. Not much snow on the ground with nice spring weather but it's been dipping below 40° at night.

I hate not seeing fire in my Harman Advance as I've had her installed less than 2 months.
Jay
Playing with fire since 1955. :coolsmirk:

Still loving the Okies- burns like no other. The Cubex. Home and Hearth has its sale. Going to buy 4 tons for $225 but no Okie. I totally forgot the name of the brand we're buying but not a bad deal.We're not using the stove much, maybe for a few hours here and there and at setting 2 or 3. Also going to be making more room for the pellets in the garage after having the stove for our first season. Trying different pellets is the way to go.

I think Jay should be given a trophy for all the time he spent making that happen....!!!

Timbalero said:
Thanks To Jays Ultimate pellet search review and my own experience with Barefoot Pellets I will be Picking Up 4 tons from my local pellet dealer for a Total Of 5 tons for next season, Once Again thanks Jay for a great research tool and guide on all brands that my local pellet dealers carry. I tried the Omalley's and Instant Heat they are both decent pellets but Jays Review is dead on the heat output is considerably less.

Timbalero, What are they getting for the Barefoots near you?

geek said:
I think Jay should be given a trophy for all the time he spent making that happen....!!!

Can my trophy be a big pile of pellets? :lol: 3 to 5 tons should do! hehe.

Just tried my first bad of Barefoot which do seem hotter than Corinth pellets!. At the same time I noticed the Corinths were a much plumper bag & both weigh 40lbs. Maybe volume comparisons might be in order before making a definitive pellet evaluation?

Timbalero said:
imacman - Pete in reference to your email question that you sent me. I imagine they do deliver But I Always Just Grab and Go Since I am Only 15 Minutes away.. If they do deliver I don't imagine they would deliver to anywhere outside of Putnam County NY, I don't believe they would deliver to Orange County or even Dutchess County for that matter without charging you an obscene amount for delivery at which point you really aren't saving anything at 239 per ton for the BAREFOOT OR NEWP that are available and the whole idea is to get the pellet at that price point.... Good Luck With The Pellet Hunt OINK !! :coolsmile:

Thanks Timbalero, got your PM, and you are correct....they don't deliver to my area. I'm waiting on a local pellet supplier to get back to me about Barefoots closer to me, but I doubt they'll get close to the $239. I guess if I consider the cost of gas, if they get down to $249 I'd take them, but they've been selling the BF at $299 all winter and I doubt their going to cut the price $50 ton.

UPDATE: As I was typing this, they called......they said they MIGHT have a early buy in mid April, but will not be anywhere near the price I need.....they just don't sell the volume.

Got my order in, delivery this Saturday early AM.......

I was bouncing around to get a more mixed variety but got settled on 2 tons of Cubex and 2 tons of Okanagan.
Cubex=$230.
Okies=$250.

$87 total delivery charge for the 4 tons.

geek said:
I was bouncing around to get a more mixed variety but got settled on 2 tons of Cubex and 2 tons of Okanagan.
Cubex=$230.
Okies=$250.

$87 total delivery charge for the 4 tons.

nice .... is that how much you burn a year..

Status
Not open for further replies.