Bargain steal installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason Knapp

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2012
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hello all!,
Sorry I haven't visited in such a long time. Family life has caught up to me and having time to myself is gone!
Anyway, the last time I posted I had purchased a 25 pdvc Englander that I saw on Craigslist, for $100!!!!
It ended up needing a control board, which a member of thus forum tested for free.
After the new board was put in I installed the stove. This thing is amazing! I might even like it better than my 25EP.
The stats are as follows. Basement install, 4" pipe all the way out, 4" OAK. Really not too complicated and it keeps my uninsulated basement toasty and warms the floors for the level above.

Attachments

• 1484870593784-1267888304.jpg
    1484870593784-1267888304.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 299
You stated that the control board had to be replaced .I do not a surge protector in the photo you posted of this new stove ??

Well he got such a bargain he wants to keep supporting Englander by buying new boards every storm:)

Why such an enormous OAK? Surely the stove doesn't require that much air. Mine is only 2".

Correct, I haven't put a surge protector in yet. Not that it helps but the outlet is a GFI and Is a dedicated line. I'll be sure to put the surge protector in.
As for the OAK, for my install, 2" would not have been adequate given the length and accounting for losses in a convoluted pipe.
4" is also a common size for duct work. The outside of my home has 4" single wall that goes vertical for a short run and terminates in such a way to prevent snow accumulation.

Attachments

• 1484922542001-1847145149.jpg
    1484922542001-1847145149.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 207
Correct, I haven't put a surge protector in yet. Not that it helps but the outlet is a GFI and Is a dedicated line. I'll be sure to put the surge protector in.
As for the OAK, for my install, 2" would not have been adequate given the length and accounting for losses in a convoluted pipe.
4" is also a common size for duct work. The outside of my home has 4" single wall that goes vertical for a short run and terminates in such a way to prevent snow accumulation.

Nice looking install. Did you put a screen on the end of that oak to keep out critters? Mice are very adept at getting into these.

I want to get a second stove for my basement and this pic helps me visualize how to do it.

Nice looking install. Did you put a screen on the end of that oak to keep out critters? Mice are very adept at getting into these.

I want to get a second stove for my basement and this pic helps me visualize how to do it.

I included a pic of how I placed the screen on the intake.
I placed a piece of screen over the smaller diameter of the elbow, the side with the ripples. Then cut a piece of straight 4" and slipped it over the elbow. The screen is now in between the elbow and straight pipe, allowing for a tight fit and makes cleaning easy.
Does that make any sense?

Attachments

• 1484947352239-907929676.jpg
    1484947352239-907929676.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: bogieb
Stove turbo via a 4 inch inline duct booster on the fresh air intake:)
Looks like it will be more than adequate thou I would have used some 3 inch ducting. No insult just something for others following to know that there is 3 inch ducting readily available.
Glad to hear you got a surge suppressor on. No sense in repeating the previous owners mistake
Stay safe

Reactions: Jason Knapp
I appreciate the reply. And certainly appreciate everything you've said.
I went with 4" because it was readily available in my area. I honestly tried for 3", but it was very hard to get.
The 4"is overkill for sure, but it works. I can't tell you how much I enjoy this basement install. My reloading bench is in the basement. The stove makes reloading so much more cozy!

Last edited:
Reactions: OverlookEGR
I appreciate the reply. And certainly appreciate everything you've said.
I went with 4" because it was readily available in my area. I honestly tried for 3", but it was very hard to get.
The 4"is overkill for sure, but it works. I can't tell you how much I enjoy this basement install. My reloading bench is in the basement. The stove makes reloading so much more cozy!

Now you won't find yourself putting off going down there to do stuff, on the contrary now you will want to use it more.

I included a pic of how I placed the screen on the intake.
I placed a piece of screen over the smaller diameter of the elbow, the side with the ripples. Then cut a piece of straight 4" and slipped it over the elbow. The screen is now in between the elbow and straight pipe, allowing for a tight fit and makes cleaning easy.
Does that make any sense?

Yes got it. My current stove has a factory OAK with a screen but when I install my basement stove I will probably go with a setup like yours.

I'm glad I was able to help!
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.
And yes, I use the stove all the time. My wife likes it because the laundry room stays warm. And I like it because I can stay down there for a long time!

I'm glad I was able to help!
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.
And yes, I use the stove all the time. My wife likes it because the laundry room stays warm. And I like it because I can stay down there for a long time!
Man cave with spousal visits:)

Yes got it. My current stove has a factory OAK with a screen but when I install my basement stove I will probably go with a setup like yours.
Englander suggests a 3" OAK for basement installation. Why? I'm not sure.
But I'd rather have an oversized fresh air inlet than a setup that's starving for air.
Of the 2 stoves I own, my basement one is my favorite.

A GFI only keeps you from getting a shock. It will not protect the stove from voltage surges.

A GFI only keeps you from getting a shock. It will not protect the stove from voltage surges.
True.
I'm relying on FERC and my power supplier for steady state grid voltage.