Been awhile..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Hey guys, yeah- been awhile since been on here; been thru another craftsman but now am the proud poppa of a Stihl 251. I can only ask myself why I waited until now after having been thru the low pro semi- chisel chain, the Oregon bar and diamond chain. This thing chews and chews, what I'm thinking in the back of my mind now is about sharpening; am I better off taking in to the dealer(not really a fan of machine sharpening) or investing in/ reusing my bastard file setup that I used on the craftsman. Anyone else have an MS 250/ 251?

I bought a MS251 last year and am still trying to convince myself how great it is. They changed the oiler and i don't think it puts out enough oil, thus the chain can get hot and that doesn't help. And it is sometimes hard to start.

I have a MS250 that I hardly ever use. The starter cord hangs down about 6 inches, but it starts perfectly every time. As far as sharpening goes, I'd use a dealer if they did a good job. My dealer ground the heck out of mine. I was never pleased (Even though my Stihl dealer is spectacular in every other way). I got a cheap bench top and it works great. Looking to get a nicer benchtop grinder. I never sharpen in the field, I just carry multiple chains (and bars in case of a bad pinch).

My Stihl chains get sharpened with Stihl files and file guides. The depth gauges get taken down with a bastard file.

Since Stihl cutters are harder than those found on popular Oregon/Husqvarna chain, it is recommended that you use a Stihl file or other harder file.

Reactions: 7acres
Cool- on the second tank so far and couldn't be more pleased. I went the extra extent of getting some gas with no ethanol, there's one station here that carries it. Question; are there full chisel chains available for the 251's? Is there an advantage........

If your saw is set up to run .325 pitch chain, then you are asking if there full chisel chain is available in .325 pitch. The answer is yes, and it's offered by more manufacturers than just Stihl.

Stihl RS = full chisel
Stihl RM = semi-chisel

Full chisel will cut faster than semi-chisel. Semi-chisel has a reputation for keeping its cutting effectiveness a little longer in dirty wood before the need to sharpen. With that being said, I use full chisel chain almost exclusively.

I've been using semi-chisel and have been happy with it (on my 028 and 250). They've been the Stihl chains, BTW.

I really like these 2 in 1 Stihl file guides. They are chain specific and not cheap but they sharpen the chain tooth and cut the raker to the proper height as well. All you have to do is put your saw in a vise and sharpen the chain. Try one you won't be sorry.

2in1file.jpg

Put your saw in a vise every time you need to sharpen a chain? really? Can't you just hold the saw between your knees or set it on the tailgate between two rounds?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Put your saw in a vise every time you need to sharpen a chain? really? Can't you just hold the saw between your knees or set it on the tailgate between two rounds?

Not if you want to do a really good job sharpening. You have to hold that 2 in 1 file guide firmly and level while using it with even pressure to get the best sharpen in the least amount of strokes. I tried it between the knees and it wasn't working very well. I will just bring extra spare sharp chains and then sharpen on my work bench with the vise. it's not like using a regular file.

Reactions: Danno77
And the vise makes flipping the saw and doing the other side with the same angles a breeze.

Reactions: TreePointer
And the vise makes flipping the saw and doing the other side with the same angles a breeze.
Your vise doesn't swivel? Time for a new toy. (or is that what makes flipping the saw so easy.)

On the third tank and also ready for a chain sharpening as I've hit the dirt a good couple times. Cool thing I just learned is that the oiler is adjustable.

Last edited:
it is recommended that you use a Stihl file or other harder file.
Wish you would have told me that years ago, I found out the hard way. Oregon files don't last on Stihl Chain.

What tree pointer says. Stihl chains are real good. Didn't know they are tempered more than others, but they hold up well. I love to cut with real sharp chains. For years I would replace the chain rather than sharpen them. They were cheep enough, $15 or so. But now I sharpen with the round file. So chains get 10 - 12 sharpening before I replace them. Sometimes I hit a rock and I can't sharpen it.

Cool, about 2/3's of the way thru my needed supply. Burning question here; per the manual I should have a 26 RM3 68 chain, and that's the one I got the other day. But poking around the internet I've seen a 26 RM3 74- any advantages to have a few more links? Will it infarct fit my 251......................

P.S. I've been learning a lot here, really appreciated ya'lls advice. Was having second thoughts this weekend on the saw, but now feel justified after reading and what I've learned here......

Last edited:
The number of drive links (DL) is determined by the length of the bar on your saw. Longer bars require chains with more links to complete a loop that fits.

Look at the information stamped on your bar near where it attaches to the power head. It should tell you the pitch, gauge, DL, and a few other things.

to reiterate, the 68 is the number of drive lengths you need with your bar length and pitch. the smaller your pitch is, the more DLs you'll need to cover the same distance. SO, the 74 number is either a different length bar or a smaller pitch.

Thanks guys-
I have a 3 pack of 68 chains on the way. Gonna be away from the say for a little bit- heading up to Chicago for Mom's Memorial. again- thanks for ya'lls info............

Hey guys- chains are here as well as the file's and I've cut a few trees. It's a pleasure working with this 251.................

been considering a stump vise, but there's no stump big enough around here.................

Pound the stump vise into a fallen tree or other log laying on the ground...works just as well.

Reactions: Lakeside
gotcha................

I bought a MS251 last year and am still trying to convince myself how great it is. They changed the oiler and i don't think it puts out enough oil, thus the chain can get hot and that doesn't help. And it is sometimes hard to start.
Jotul F3CB
Ryobi Electric Splitter
Stihl MS251

Sorry to hear that wahoo- This is the best saw I've ever had, but am too finding issue with the oiler. BTW- I haven't taken any of the new 3 chains outta the box as filing continues and enhances the wood cutting pleasure. Happy Thanksgiving, guys...............

Status
Not open for further replies.