Before I forget BeGreen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

My stove got up to 600 on the 2x6's but the flue temp stayed low as the draft seemed lazy that day as it was snowing, took it a while and the stove top temp petered out at about 600, pretty much the same as a load of wood, I still think I need a little better draft to hit 700 or so, some people claim they hit 700 very easy. The stove top temp does not increase very much with the secondaries like other people report. If I could hit 700 on a regular basis the stove would heat the house easily.

Yeah, with the blower off I can hit 700 easy and head right past it. Grab some cheap vent pipe and shove it in up top. Leave the cap off for the test. (And be careful up there).

The weather is crappy here and will be for a while but I hope to get a chance to try that out.

OS, I've got the opposite problem. Only way for me to regulate below 700 is small loads of wood. But I'm 40' from stove to cap.

wkpoor said:
OS, I've got the opposite problem. Only way for me to regulate below 700 is small loads of wood. But I'm 40' from stove to cap.

Perhaps your rockin' flue helps explain your good experience.

You sound like a candidate for a flue damper?

wkpoor said:
Did you put in a damper, if you did not are you going to?

Now MY head hurts!!

Ol'spark & the Curious One thinkin' alike!

Head -> Wall

oldspark said:
wkpoor said:
Did you put in a damper, if you did not are you going to?
Not yet but leaning seriously towards it. Tried to call US Stove today but they were closed do to the snow storm hehehehe. Going to see what they have to say first. Don't know what effect a damper would have on an EPA stove. I realize they are common on Pre EPA stoves that aren't air tight.

A damper makes good sense when you have a very strong drafting flue on an EPA stove. I would add one based on info provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.