Best chainsaw for about $450 (at most)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't know much about Dolmars so they would tend to shy away from them. No doubt the 5100 and 7900 are class performance leaders and represent a tremendous value as well.

My brain hurts over choosing a stupid chainsaw. LOL. I'm gonna get the Dolmar. All my buddies with Husqys will bust my balls but I'm going with my gut feeling.
I ride an "off brand" motorcycle (GasGas) and it's the best bike I've owned over 30 years of riding. There's no dealers near me. I get my parts online and do my own maintenance, no problem.
Hopefully the Dolmar treats me as well and doesn't have any warranty issues.
Now...heated handles or not ?

Brian VT said:

Good choice on the Dolmar... As to the heated handles, when do you plan on doing your cutting? Unless you are going to be doing a lot in the dead of winter, and spending long hours outside in the cold, I'd say it probably isn't worth it... (that's what they make good gloves for...)

Gooserider

Brian VT said:
My brain hurts over choosing a stupid chainsaw. LOL. I'm gonna get the Dolmar. All my buddies with Husqys will bust my balls but I'm going with my gut feeling.
I ride an "off brand" motorcycle (GasGas) and it's the best bike I've owned over 30 years of riding. There's no dealers near me. I get my parts online and do my own maintenance, no problem.
Hopefully the Dolmar treats me as well and doesn't have any warranty issues.

Dolmar!!!!!!!!

You won't regret it.

The guys with Huskies will bust your balls until they try your Dolmar then they will shut their pie holes. They will bust your balls about the heated handle, suck it up you wimp. Just kidding but I don't think the heated handle would be needed much. If you are active like when you are cutting wood I doubt your hands will get that cold its not like sitting on a snow mobile.

heated handles are primari;y when used a lot in cold climates to prevent 'white finger' nerve damage. Cold + vibration = not good. I am in Minnesota, am extra careful in cold weather, but I don't need or have the heaters. Adds an extra flywheel coil and electrical circuit, and a couple ounces of extra weight.

You wwill like the 5100 WAY more than the homeowner level husky ones listd.

GasGas: enduro or observed trials? I have two GG trials. buddy has a little red jug labeled "gasgas gas'.....

k

Enduro. I'll get a trials bike when I get old.

LOL ! Just kidding. Some of the best enduro riders are so good because they're trials riders (Knight, Taddy, Aaron).
I just don't have the $ to support a trials habit too. I do run a trials rear tire on my bike.

So, mharmon, what saw did you decide on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.