Best thermometer for an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Quad 4100i and after much reading here, realize that I should be monitoring my temps.
Are the ~$16 thermometers good enough or is there a better item I should be considering?
I think the best place for it on my stove is on the cast iron shelf that sits above the door.
Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

'Frank

Hi Frank,

Welcome aboard.

I bought this one for my insert. It's all black so it blends in nicely with the insert and isn't as noticeable as some of the ones with red and orange... I put it on the top center of the cook surface/shelf whatever its called. I have had it up to 440 degrees, but the surface it is on is not directly in contact with the firebox so its not a true reading, but it gives me an idea where I stand during my burn cycles.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CN-3-16

In case the link doesn't work, its a Condar Woodsaver thermometer. Just google that and you'll find it.

Any decent thermometer will work, but the top area shelf above the door is cooled by the convection system so it won't give a very accurate reading. It may take a little experimenting, but I would start by placing it on the vertical surface, right above the door. The black faced Condar thermometer would not be too obtrusive there.

BeGreen said:
Any decent thermometer will work, but the top area shelf above the door is cooled by the convection system so it won't give a very accurate reading. It may take a little experimenting, but I would start by placing it on the vertical surface, right above the door. The black faced Condar thermometer would not be too obtrusive there.

How much cooler would this be? The airwash system on my Summit comes from hot air from the baffle. That air is hot enough to light the volatiles in the wood smoke. I would think it would be fairly close to the stove overall.

The Quad 4100i has a jacket surrounding the firebox through which room air is heated up to be blown out at the top, into the room. This air, while very hot, is not at stove top temp. The air gap between the stove's outer jacket and the actual stove top is what would cause a cooler reading. That is why the suggestion for putting the thermometer on the stove face, same as one would to on a Summit insert. The face will still be cooler than the stove top, but represents a more directly proportional temp to the firebox. The outer jacket temp can vary according to the fan speed, even with the same stove top temp.

Attachments

• quad4100i.jpg
    quad4100i.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 369
I went to HF and got the $60 NCIRT. It will go to 1200 deg. My fire tonight was 650 at the front glass, 750-840 between the cast iron shelf and the top of the fire box in the center - it cooled to 500 away from center. I'm pretty happy with those numbers, but just about jumped up and called 911 at one point. The 600 - 840 deg. readings were displayed on the LCD as 3 digit numbers, I decided to check other surfaces and hit the surround above the stove and all of a sudden 4 numbers appeared! 1462 deg.!! My heart was racing.....until I noticed the VERY SMALL decimal point after the 6. ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.