Best Value Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishin

Aug 26, 2008
VA
I'm new to burning wood and would like yall's opinion on what fireplace insert, with a blower, would be the best one to get, for the money. I have a brick fireplace with a 3' width and a 2' height. Very informative forum. Thanks for your inputs.

We need to know a few things to make suggestions. Value will be solely in your eyes and wallet.

What size house and floor plan?

Masonry or pre-fab metal fireplace?

Supplemental heat or 24/7 100% heating with wood?.

Threshold of pain price wise for the total installation including chimney liner?

How much of a "nice addition to the room" factor? Check with the spouse on this one.

Where y'at? Different parts of VA get different kinds of cold. Of course tonight the whole dang state is going to be cold and windy. Possible show showers up in Northern VA.

I have a 1450sf single story with a crawl space. The fireplace is masonry and I live in Gloucester,Va. Hopin not to get too pricey. Thanks.

Chimney in the center of the house? or on an end?
1450 feet on one floor might be tough to distribute the heat around...you can still do it...just need to decide on where you want the most heat.

I do not have much more experience then you do but after looking at several stoves I chose the Pacific Energy Summit. We have a great dealer out here and the price was right. We have only fired it a few times but it is evident this thing is qutie a heat pump. Good luck and welcome.

The PE Summit in a 1450 sq. ft. house in VA would be big overkill and most of the time the stove would be choked down to where it couldn't burn efficiently. Efficient insets such as the Drolet, Englander or on the higher cost end the PE Vista would be a better heating alternative for that location and house size. They won't do ten or twelve hour burns but they won't be choked down all of the time trying to not overheat the place. Napoleon and Regency among others have good quality inserts that will fill the bill.

A lot comes down to what your local dealer has to offer.

Agreed, the Summit is overkill, though I'm thinking the mid-sized Pacific might be just right if it fits in the fireplace.

ilikewood said:
Chimney in the center of the house? or on an end?
1450 feet on one floor might be tough to distribute the heat around...you can still do it...just need to decide on where you want the most heat.

Yea, that's the bad part, the fireplace is on one end of the house. Thanks.

I am interested in this one too, I live in N Arizona, and need to replace the 40+ year old Free Heat Machine in my masonary fireplace. Home is 1900 sf, fireplace is in the front room, outside wall. Bedrooms are in the other side of the house. I am a construction guy and have some basic knowledge of fireplaces, but I am by no means an expert. I have a hydronic air handler that came out of a remodel that I would like to try and use in conjunction with a new insert to heat the back of the home. Has anyone ever done this? Also I am looking for a new insert. 24h x 42w x 30d. I will need some extra room on the sides to install the copper coils for the hydro system.

Status
Not open for further replies.