1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

biggest clinker....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by maverick06, Dec 30, 2011.

1. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    While pulling the coals forward this morning to burn them down before a reload I came across the biggest clinker I have ever seen in my stove. I buy my wood so i am not sure what I have really been burning, but its all quite dry (about 12-14%). Clinkers are relatively common, but pretty small in size, golf ball sized. This thing was just ridiculous!

Figured it had to be shared.

Rick

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    That's a beauty! Sell it on E-bay as a meteorite ;-)

Ray
    Joful likes this.
  3. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I found a big mother clinker today when I took the ashes out...not as big as yours though...never found one before....I think you win the prize... :lol:
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    That's a big one!

I get them about half that size frequently when burning doug fir. They actually sound like glass when they fall into the cast iron inside the stove. Very little ash with douug fir but I do get those klinkers.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm working on a big one in our stove right now. When you only clean it out once a month, they get big. The trick is removing them without breaking them. Maybe we should have a biggest clinker contest?
  6. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    That big clinker should prolly be classified as a clunker!
  7. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

That is a big mutha. So I know it has been asked before but where do these come from? I guess I don't remember them when I was a kid in the old smoke dragons. I get these all the time... I'm burning mixed wood.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Just my theory but since these stoves bake the volatile material out of the wood and then burn the gases more than they just burn the wood like the old stoves, I think that contributes to stuff like that ending up in the ashes. They are common in the burn pots of pellet stoves with less than primo pellets. Some kinda junk in the wood left over after the bake sale.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  10. Scott2373

Scott2373 Member

Loc:
    Williamson, New York
    I know of clinkers that came from the old coal stoves, but clinkers in a wood stove? How does this figure? So far I haven't come across any...I burn slab wood which is probably the lowest grade of combustible material one can burn. That's one helluva biggun though! Nice find! I like the meteorite idea, lol. You know someone out there will pay top dollar for that. Good luck!
  11. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I get them all the time here and we've talked bout this before.. I feel it's caused by ashes built up and wood added on top so heat and pressure compress the ash or as Jake says I am creating diamonds albeit "in the rough" lol..
    Ray
  12. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

So they are a result of the heat in the stove and stuff from the wood. I have to say I doubt the type of wood matters....
  13. babzog

babzog Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    I found a big one when I cleaned out the ash from the Opel yesterday. Just tossed it into the ash can but maybe I'll dig it out if we're having a biggest clinker contest. What's the prize?
  14. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    We never get any clinkers after burning wood for 20 years. Now I'm sittin' here wondering what I'm doing wrong.....
  15. Fredo

Fredo Member

Loc:
    Mi
    Whats a clinker? :roll:

Fredo
  16. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    It's what you trade in on a new car?
  17. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    We are all pretty sure its junk (minerals/silicates) in bark/dirt that fuses together in the ash.

Maybe burning pretty hot in modern stoves contributes to it.... I am not sure what wood i am burning, as I buy wood, but i know there is a bit of dirt on the logs, not much, but some. Sure that is causing most of it.
  18. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's explained in the link provided in post #8 of this thread.
  19. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Raining and 49F, so I cleaned out the stove. There was a big clinker in it, but it started breaking up when I shoveled it out. I took a picture anyway. Even the remaining part is huge.

Attached Files:

20. firetender

firetender New Member

Loc:
    south east pa.
    I get clinkers from burning oak,some pretty big. I usually bust them up with the poker.
  21. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Yeah, how is that working out for you . . . did you give your wife a bunch of the clinkers and tell her that in a few billion years they'll be bigger and better than the Hope Diamond? ;)
  22. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm not sure how well that one would go over. "Here ya go honey. I know it's a little rough right now, but hope for a diamond." Then duck and cover, those big clinkers are heavy.
  23. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Of course I did Jake per your advice as a matter of fact I gave her your address etc. because she wants to thank you in person for the great idea! Just noticed my rifle is missing hope I find it soon..

;-)

Ray
  24. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    No problem . . . I'm happy to help . . . just think of me as one of those professional advice column writers. ;)
  25. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I have seen these when shoveling out my stove from time to time. There not really like coal clinkers as there not hard. The things i get are easily busted up if u try, and look like that giant one with the shovel in the pic. I just assumed it was from the heat, resin, wood weight and moisture realeasing when the wood burns into the ash under it.