Black birch I think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Black birch I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen any. Has it got the wintergreen smell they talk about? High-output wood apparently. :cool:

The stuff on top is bb. You have a nice log of yellow birch on the bottom. The bit of yellow birch that I have cut up had an awesome logging grain to it. Good firewood as well

On second thought, I think most of that stuff is yellow birch. Again, very nice wood whether black or yellow

From Audubon Guide, Yellow has "slight wintergreen odor," Sweet (aka Black) has "wintergreen odor." Yellow bark "shiny yellowish or silver-gray, separating into papery curls." Sweet bark "shiny dark brown or black, smooth but not papery."

Most all black birch I've seen is very gnarly - twisted, branches, etc. The bark looks similar to the picture, very dark gray/black with a plated look.

have some in my log length pile that looks like your BB.

Don't notice any wintergreen smell but my stuffed up snoot doesn't work like it used to

Status
Not open for further replies.