1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

blanket insulation vs. poured insulation mix

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rmcfall, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

I'd never considered using a poured insulation mix in my chimney, until someone mentioned it to me recently. Aside from having to seal up the bottom flue tile to prevent escape, pouring it in doesn't seem all that bad. Are there any advantages of this kind of mix?? If not, then why use it instead of a blanket? And what if one wanted to replace their liner at a point in the future?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    I asked this same question awhile back and got no reply. My insulation is poured in, and I think the installers did that because my flu tiles are like 7.5" X 7.5" or something like that. I do not think they had room to use a wrap around type insulation, hence the Thermix.
    I also have wondered how I will go about replacing my liner down the road. It seems to have set up just like concrete.

Also, I guess if you ever thought you would want to go back to a traditional fireplace, then you wouldn't want the poured in liner in there. I imagine it would be tough to remove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.