blanket insulation vs. poured insulation mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
I'd never considered using a poured insulation mix in my chimney, until someone mentioned it to me recently. Aside from having to seal up the bottom flue tile to prevent escape, pouring it in doesn't seem all that bad. Are there any advantages of this kind of mix?? If not, then why use it instead of a blanket? And what if one wanted to replace their liner at a point in the future?

I asked this same question awhile back and got no reply. My insulation is poured in, and I think the installers did that because my flu tiles are like 7.5" X 7.5" or something like that. I do not think they had room to use a wrap around type insulation, hence the Thermix.
I also have wondered how I will go about replacing my liner down the road. It seems to have set up just like concrete.

Also, I guess if you ever thought you would want to go back to a traditional fireplace, then you wouldn't want the poured in liner in there. I imagine it would be tough to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.