Blaze King Ashford is up and running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-30 overnight? Really? It hasn't hit anywhere near -30 air temperature in NY state in many many many many many years.

Yes, really; most years it gets that cold around here, we are (sadly) part of NY too. You should move up here, don't forget that PH! I'll sell you about 1.2 full cord of hardwood, obviously that's all you will need (since I use about 3.5 full cords, and I will go through three times the wood of the PH). There are lots more temperature examples, but I didn't want to take the time to research. ewdudley's Old Forge numbers link is nice also!

Jan 24, 2011: -36 Saranac Lake, -30 Watertown
Jan 10, 2004: -34 Saranac Lake
Jan 23, 2013: -29 Saranac Lake
Jan 24, 2013: -32 Saranac Lake
Jan 27, 2005: -32 Watertown
Feb 05, 2011: -29 Watertown

Considering your previous posts indicating that the neighbor uses 3x the wood that you do, that 24 hour burns are not possible, and taking this quoted statement into account, I am thinking your grasp of numbers may differ from the rest of us. ;lol

Sorry for getting off topic, this will be my last contribution to this thread. It was kind of fun, though...

Reactions: jeff_t and Ashful
TX,
1st, those are 1 time numbers. Yes, once a year, MAYBE if you are lucky enough to be just in the right small oddball town, at the right moment over a ten year period, you MIGHT see a -20 or even -30 degree moment. Enjoy it, cause you may only see it once in your life.

The rest of the time, the coldest average town in NY state is Watertown, and there coldest month is Januarary. The average COLDEST DAY IN JANURARY IN WATERTOWN, over a 50 year period is 9 degree's. NOT minus 9, nine. That tells you it rarely even gets below 9, besdies -30.

The post above claiming -30 averages or somethign like that, makes it sound as if its a normal occurance, it's not. I was in Lake placid about 5 years ago when it hit -6 at 1:00am in the morning, and they told me that hadn't occured in years. Lake placid is in the top 3 coldest in NY.

Again, just keeping it real.

OH, PS- I burned almost exactly 1 cord last year. However, I can say I did not burn 24x7 the entire winter. I skipped 1 week in March (no burning at all), and had maybe 5 or 10 days thrown in I did not burn.

Reactions: Oldhippie
This is getting way off topic. Let's save weather and stove comparisons to another thread and stick to the OP and information about the new BK Ashford.

Last edited:
duty_calls.png

Webby, any idea when this stove will really hit the market and be available to see in a showroom??
It's ready! They are backed up a little, should be caught up soon enough. Your local dealer should have the info that you need. It will be available in brown or midnight blue enamel later in the season.

Webby,

Have you been burning the Cape Cod along with the Ashford to see how they compare ?
I have been running both, but not at the same time, not cold enough yet. They are 2 totally different creatures! I plan to a have real head to head challenge. Like the same amount of wood, same stove temps and see how they stack up. (I think I already have my answer though)

Reactions: alforit
Have to second that fact. BK stoves are very popular in Alaska. People living there can't afford to have their stove go out before they return from work.
I've seen only 2 episodes of "buying Alaska" on TV, it's like house hunters but in remote Alaska. 3 out of 6 houses had Blaze Kings. And 1 of those houses didn't have a stove at all. They are very poplar in Alaska! Chris told me the %, but I can't remember what it was.

I have been running both, but not at the same time, not cold enough yet. They are 2 totally different creatures! I plan to a have real head to head challenge. Like the same amount of wood, same stove temps and see how they stack up. (I think I already have my answer though)

Do tell :)

The Cape Cod is a beautiful performer, it just can't hold a candle to the burn times the Ashford can produce. It's those dang air tubes in the top! That being said, the Cod can produce some Massive heat! And the fire view is out of this world! They truly are 2 different stoves, with similar looks. More to come as it cools down outside!

Reactions: alforit
In any case, my wife is now pressing the idea of using the space where the stove would sit for a kitchen table.

NOOOOO....I am jealous of the space for one. I have even pondered an outdoor canning kitchen as an excuse for a wood cook stove.

Webby, the head to head challenge for the Ashford vs the Cape Cod is what I will be anxiously awaiting. The only drawback I can see with the Ashford for me would be the long burn times and me resisting the urge to fiddle with it since it seems to be a "set and forget" type of stove. Especially since being in Tennessee we don't get consistent, steady cold weather like you guys further north!
Builder Bob

Webby, the head to head challenge for the Ashford vs the Cape Cod is what I will be anxiously awaiting. The only drawback I can see with the Ashford for me would be the long burn times and me resisting the urge to fiddle with it since it seems to be a "set and forget" type of stove. Especially since being in Tennessee we don't get consistent, steady cold weather like you guys further north!
Builder Bob
It does get boring;lol Maybe the Cape Cod is the one for you, I'll make you a deal! Maybe. I'm on the fence.

What kind of "something cool" you "possibly" looking to trade for?...::-) The Cape Cod was on my short list and I've been toying with the idea of a second stove.

NOOOOO....I am jealous of the space for one. I have even pondered an outdoor canning kitchen as an excuse for a wood cook stove.
I have to find a way to get you and her together, when the time comes.

I plan to a have real head to head challenge. Like the same amount of wood, same stove temps and see how they stack up. (I think I already have my answer though)

Don't pay too much attention to the "stove temps". Pay attention to the room/house temps, or, the amount of heat they put out into the room. I find way too many folks on here quote stove temps as a way of declaring how much heat the stove is emmitting to the room, and that is not a good measurement. For example, my stove never gets hot at all comparitevely speaking, yet the heat it is putting out is tremedous. So the point is, the Cod surface may be 600 degrees and heat the room to 70, while the BK's surface may be only 300, and also heat the room to 70 (just an example, not actual results!). So focus on the heat output, not the temp of the stove. ;)

Things are "heating up" so I thought I would chime in... For our first stove I remember looking for the best looking with plenty of flames, the flames are mesmerizing to watch and really give a nice feel to the room. We had the Quadrafire 3100i, it is an insert, we were debating if we should rebuild our fireplace to fix the smoke issue and improve the efficiency a bit. As I remember a fireplace efficiency is between -25% to +15%..., I think most fireplaces are in the negative range due to poor design. We opted for the stove, at 72% efficiency and MUCH cheaper cost it was a no brainer…
We used the Quadrafire for almost ten years, we loved it and as we got more experienced and trusted it we got to the point where we were using it 24/7 and burned ~5 cords per season. Then I started reading the forums and that is where I heard about the BK crazy burn times, now we have the BK Princess insert, which has the smallest firebox of the BK's, and now we are true believers... We burn between 3 to 4 cords with the BK now, this season would be the third with it.
Our house is a farm ranch over 2800sqf and the stove is located in the den which has 2.5 long outside walls and is in the far corner of the house. We use fans to move the air to the bedrooms that are on the opposite side. The stove provides ~75% of the heat for the season, the rest we use the oil burner, unfortunately… My family is spoiled and likes to keep the house on the warm side…

It does get boring;lol Maybe the Cape Cod is the one for you, I'll make you a deal! Maybe. I'm on the fence.

Hi, I've been following this conversation about the Blaze King Ashford and the Lopi Cape Cod, as I am in the market for a new wood stove and those are my two finalists (unless I get a King). Unlike Webby3650, I tend to hold on to my stove until long after I should have gotten rid of it. For the record, I have an OLD Sunfire stove, made from rolled steel and I am going to replace it because it's a mega-polluter. While I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where it doesn't hit freezing too often during the winter, I do like a larger wood burning stove, as wood has essentially been my sole source of heat for the past 29 years. My main home is about 1600 sq. ft., with an additional game room (man cave) of about 700 sq. ft. (it's usually kept closed off to the 'main home, but it is attached). I won't be heating the game room unless I'm back there, but I want a stove that's big enough to heat it when I do go back there.

Given that I tend to keep my toys and I don't like to put lots of money into rebuilding them, a concern of mine nowadays is how much upkeep/maintenance the new stoves will take. My Sunfire is essentially one big piece of thick rolled steel that has required nothing beyond a cleaning now and then. So, my question is: Given a choice between the Ashford and the Cape Cod, which one do you think might require the most maintenance over a period of years? I hear that the catalytic unit needs to be replace after 7 -10 years and, no problem, I can live with that. Do you have an opinion of which might need a rebuild (re-sealing the seams?) over time? I've read that cast iron stoves will need rebuilding eventually (though the sales people discount that notion). Given that I don't like to pay lots of money for maintenance (and I won't do it myself), I might 'settle' for a steel stove, such as the Blaze King King. I like the King, in that it can take large logs and most of my wood (which I generally cut and split) is cut in longer lengths.

I can get the Cape Cod, in black, for about $3000 ($850 more for brown enamel) and the Ashford for right about the same price (about $3K in black). Your thoughts, please? Do you think that they're built comparably when it comes to quality and they're lasting a long time? Any feedback from someone who owns either of these stoves will be appreciated.

Lot's of good points in this thread.
Let's remember that comparisons of heating different homes need to consider the houses' insulation and tightness, as well as the owners' temp preference. i.e keeping a drafty place @75° vs. a tight place @70°. (Of course, we all know this, but I didn't seen it mentioned in this thread, so. . .)

Good points ddddddden. Your cat must have paws made of asbestos! :)

Hi, I've been following this conversation about the Blaze King Ashford and the Lopi Cape Cod, as I am in the market for a new wood stove and those are my two finalists (unless I get a King). Unlike Webby3650, I tend to hold on to my stove until long after I should have gotten rid of it. For the record, I have an OLD Sunfire stove, made from rolled steel and I am going to replace it because it's a mega-polluter. While I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where it doesn't hit freezing too often during the winter, I do like a larger wood burning stove, as wood has essentially been my sole source of heat for the past 29 years. My main home is about 1600 sq. ft., with an additional game room (man cave) of about 700 sq. ft. (it's usually kept closed off to the 'main home, but it is attached). I won't be heating the game room unless I'm back there, but I want a stove that's big enough to heat it when I do go back there.

Given that I tend to keep my toys and I don't like to put lots of money into rebuilding them, a concern of mine nowadays is how much upkeep/maintenance the new stoves will take. My Sunfire is essentially one big piece of thick rolled steel that has required nothing beyond a cleaning now and then. So, my question is: Given a choice between the Ashford and the Cape Cod, which one do you think might require the most maintenance over a period of years? I hear that the catalytic unit needs to be replace after 7 -10 years and, no problem, I can live with that. Do you have an opinion of which might need a rebuild (re-sealing the seams?) over time? I've read that cast iron stoves will need rebuilding eventually (though the sales people discount that notion). Given that I don't like to pay lots of money for maintenance (and I won't do it myself), I might 'settle' for a steel stove, such as the Blaze King King. I like the King, in that it can take large logs and most of my wood (which I generally cut and split) is cut in longer lengths.

I can get the Cape Cod, in black, for about $3000 ($850 more for brown enamel) and the Ashford for right about the same price (about $3K in black). Your thoughts, please? Do you think that they're built comparably when it comes to quality and they're lasting a long time? Any feedback from someone who owns either of these stoves will be appreciated.
If we are talking about 25 years down the road, then the BK is gonna require less maintenance. Its a steel firebox, not to much rebuild. In your situation a cat stove would be the way to go. The Cape Cod is a monster heater, once its going its hard to slow down to a crawl like the BK's. You don't need anywhere near the King, their smaller stoves would serve you better.

If we are talking about 25 years down the road, then the BK is gonna require less maintenance. Its a steel firebox, not to much rebuild. In your situation a cat stove would be the way to go. The Cape Cod is a monster heater, once its going its hard to slow down to a crawl like the BK's. You don't need anywhere near the King, their smaller stoves would serve you better.

Thanks webby3650! I really appreciate your input. When I've visited the Lopi dealer, he's had the Cape Cod burning with a single log in it. I suppose that's how we on California's Central Coast get our stoves to crawl; just don't put too much into them. :cool:

I guess I should start talking price with the BK dealer now. Enjoy, Gary

I am running my Sirocco in my man-cave. It is also aorund 700sqft. I leave the door to the main floor open and so far as lon as it doesn't get below 30F outside the main floor stays at 70F and the basement around 75F. I have played with it a lot over the last 2 weeks and here is what I have found:

When I get home from work I put in 4 15" 2x4's and start the stove. Once those are going and the cat is up to temp I engage the cat and turn it to about 1/2 on the temp control. After the cat is warmed up hot I turn the temp the rest of the way down. That will run for around 4 hours and still have plenty of coals and heat. After that 4 hours I put 4-5 splits in it and run it on high till they get good and going then engage the cat and turn it down to 1/2 way. After about 10 minutes I turn it the rest of the way down and go to bed. When I get up in the morning it is still going and I turn it back up and leave it that way till it runs out of wood while I am at work.

We have a lot of south facing windows and we are on top of a hill so during the day the hosue stays pretty warm with no heat needed.

Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.