Blaze king owners......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Do blaze king stoves require a outside air kit? Please let me know. Thanks!

No, the stove does not require it but under certain circumstances your particular setup may.

If you have a very "tight house" or a mobile home you may be a candadate for an OAK.

My ashford 30 in 1200sqft did not, but i figgered out where to punch a hole in the wall before i put the stove in the way.

Top three reasons i can think of to install OAK:

Required by code in some jurisdictions.

Tight enough house to use an HRV.

Prevailing wind meets suboptimal arcitectural reality.

#4 would be a fan over the cook stove, a poweful one, that vents outdoors instead of circulating airborne bacon grease all over the kitchen.

If your stove uses 500 cu ft of air an hour it has to be replaced, via an open window or leaks around the doors, etc., with cold outside air. This will cool your house-just the opposite of what the stove is trying to do. Sometimes a room with a big air leak will never heat up well. In some homes turning on the kitchen exhaust fan will suck a large amount of smoke out of the stove. An outside air kit will stop this except at start-up when the stove door is ajar. Opening a window is a fix for this. An OAK adds operating efficiency and can prevent smoke in the house. On the other hand, room supplied combustion air can provide air change for the house. Bottom line: try it without the OAK. If an OAK is desired just crack a window until it is installed. I installed an OAK because a constant drift of cold air would come from the front door and it allows my wife to start the kitchen fan at will. We had a few smoky house incidents that are always upsetting to my wife, so I pounded a hole through the bricks and put it in. Not easy, but doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.