Blizzard today, how's your stove doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
In Ontario, Canada, currently feels like -32c (-25f) with 72km wind gusts (44mile), not a good day to be outside. Thankfully our wood stove is keeping the house toasty, struggling a bit but still maintaining at 68f.

What's the weather like where you are and how's your stove doing? :)

In Ontario, Canada, currently feels like -32c (-25f) with 72km wind gusts (44mile), not a good day to be outside. Thankfully our wood stove is keeping the house toasty, struggling a bit but still maintaining at 68f.

in Minnesota USA, outside temp here has been below 0F for a few days. Currently windchill is around -30F. Alderlea T4 is doing s great job keeping interior temps around 72F.

Central MN here. Currently -8 with a 30mph wind. Boiler has been working better than expected while getting fed crappy boxelder. It's running about 50% of the time to provide heat to almost 8k SQ/ft.

It's not the coldest it's even been here but the wind makes it rather ugly outside. When it's windy and cold I put an N95 mask on when going outside and I condition my own incoming air while blocking some direct wind. Works well.

Today I'm extra thankful to have a Woodstove. It's -3 here with a wind chill of -25. Basement is 73 and 68 upstairs. Took my shepherd for a short walk and after 10 minutes he had enough. Cold tootsies

In the mist of a dramatic drop from 40°f to around 9°f . I got the insert going to get the Temps up to 76 in anticipation of loosing ground later and having to kick on the oil burner. One of the 15 to 20 days I cant heat enough from wood.

We're finally warming up, -25 outside right now, spent the last 5 days at -40 with windchills down to -52. Kinda feels like spring right now. Snow's coming down, and will tomorrow too, will have a nice white blanket on the ground to wake up to Christmas morning.

Here in shield country the wind is out of the north west 8kph/5mph gusting to 16kph/10mphoutdoor temp -22c/-7f inside with the regency cruising along its a toasty +23c/73f.
Merry Christmas

Went from a sunny 48 at 1pm to 19 six hours later. The oil kicked on at 5pm for a while. The wood's not ideal, so the insert was a bit sluggish to fire. I had to add a sawdust brick from TSC to get the heat up. Now that the coal bed is established, the stove behaves a lot better. Mid 70's in the stove room now.

Reactions: Dix
We are currently at 1 degree f. Wind-chill of -27. The princess is doing most of the work with a little help from the propane fireplace insert. And running the dryer vent inside the house.

Last edited:
Below zero with bone chilling wind chills. Got a couple burners going, house is comfy, around 70*f.

Reactions: VintageGal
10F / -12C, here in Icey Hollow. More with the wind chill (not calculating ).

Den @ 81F / 27C, kitchen @ 65F (layout issue). Just turned on the propane stove oven to help keep some heat at that end of the house for the night. Kitchen faucet on drip.

OB running for the side where the 13 lives. And man, is it running. The 13 is idle.

Stocked the house w/ firewood, enough inside for 2 weeks. 1 month outside the back door.

Warming back up here. 7.3F with a windchill of -3.7F right now. Low was -8.5F with windchill of -32.7F windchill. Had a glaze of ice on the roads early yesterday morning with white out conditions for just a bit, but didn’t end up with much snow. The Switzer boiler kept the house and garage toasty warm.

In South Jersey it 12 degrees and the windchill is -7 I didnt have the stove or heat on today because it was almost 50 degrees.. I lit the stove at 4pm because the temp dropped and was 65 in the house.. Its 8.30 pm and the house is 70 and the stove is loaded for the overnight burn. I actually turned on the heater and set the thermostat to turn on if the house temp drops. Id rather be safe than sorry.. If I burn a couple gallons of oil, its not going to kill me..

Reactions: Dix
In South Jersey it 12 degrees and the windchill is -7 I didnt have the stove or heat on today because it was almost 50 degrees.. I lit the stove at 4pm because the temp dropped and was 65 in the house.. Its 8.30 pm and the house is 70 and the stove is loaded for the overnight burn. I actually turned on the heater and set the thermostat to turn on if the house temp drops. Id rather be safe than sorry.. If I burn a couple gallons of oil, its not going to kill me..

I let mine go out after the morning reload. Cleaned out the firebox & boost baffle when I got home, and restarted.

The cold hit us a few days ago. We're warming up from 20 to 36 right now, but with a 7 hr ice storm that has left Seattle in an unpretty state. The body shops are going to be booked for months after this one. We have stayed warm with the woodstove and an occasional push of electrons to stay ahead of the game. Thankfully the power did not go out for us with this one. Many were not as lucky.

Online there were videos shared of people crossing the street on all fours and even some of people ice skating on the road. Seattle is a hilly city. That's where things got really dicey. Anyone trying to drive in these conditions is nuts.
This scene got even worse as the day went on.

The safest way to travel today

Reactions: Osage
I let mine go out after the morning reload. Cleaned out the firebox & boost baffle when I got home, and restarted.

I let the stove go out Thursday morning and did a cleanout.. vacuumed the cat.. My son made a remark of how he cant remember the last time we had to actually light the stove.. Its 7 degrees right now with a wind chill of -12

Last edited:
The little Aspen C3 does well when it’s running hard, but at 8*F outside, once it starts to burn down, the temps start to drop. The heat kicks on during the night.
Morning reload …

9D4BA6D9-2AF6-4B3C-8683-2EA4805D791D.jpeg

3763FA8D-86D9-464E-97D6-D8C07F471CB8.jpeg

AC894890-0A44-4534-931B-A0343125039F.jpeg

Reactions: 30WCF
On lake wpg here,osburn is cruising.warm up next week .

20221224_060715.jpg

Love it- struggling a bit at 68 degrees indoor temp. Lol
#woodstovelife

#woodstovelife

I just dialed mine back.. 71 in the living room.. 68 in the hallway going to the kids bedrooms

My wife just walked away from sitting in front of the stove.. shes to hot

Reactions: paredown
It was 9 here last night, plus whatever wind chill is. High of 19 today. We haven’t had power since 6am yesterday. The GM60 got its first real test - no supplemental heat in the house, I kept the mini splits shut off at the breaker. I had to get up at 3am and put another load on, but it maintained 68/69 on the living room floor all night. The bedrooms were a little chilly, but not terrible. It’s down to 66 on the main floor now, I’m just letting the 3am coals burn down and I’ll go throw on another load.
Crazy how different the draft is at 9 degrees and windy. Three big dry oak splits, took right off, shut air fully and closed the damper and it rolled along perfectly. I had been starting to think I didn’t need a damper, but I definitely think there are a few nights per year where my setup needs it.

#woodstovelife
That's my indoor temp now too but just about to reload, should bump it up a few degrees, my dog is in front of the stove where it's much warmer, she aint stupid.

I had to shovel some coals out this morning. The combo of hickory and running the stove hard has left quite a pile. 5 degrees this morning havnt checked the wind chill but it's low

Reactions: EbS-P
wasn't doing bad at all.. and we are having a lot of "in and out" door traffic.. new puppy...

20221223-105552.jpg