Blizzard today, how's your stove doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had to shovel some coals out this morning. The combo of hickory and running the stove hard has left quite a pile. 5 degrees this morning havnt checked the wind chill but it's low
Do you have any Pine to nuke coals with? Worth a shot. It makes great heat as well. It's been working well here as I run the stove wide open with pine on the coal pile.
It does take time and a little planning ahead!
11F without wind feels great after what we had.

Right now its 13F here....wind isnt real bad, but yesterday was -8...-30s windchill.

We had a cold snap in CT. Friday it went down from almost 60 to 5 over night. Luck had that that my furnace said it’s enough and crapped out. I am very thankful for my little cape cod. It kept us warm 72-76 through the cold spell.

In Ontario, Canada, currently feels like -32c (-25f) with 72km wind gusts (44mile), not a good day to be outside. Thankfully our wood stove is keeping the house toasty, struggling a bit but still maintaining at 68f.

What's the weather like where you are and how's your stove doing? :)
Blaze King performing phenomenal, at 3/4 throttle the house stayed at the temps shown below.Wind chills -45, and 55 - 65 mph winds, at full throttle 77 degrees to 80 was easily achieved.At 3/4 10 hours was achieved at full throttle 8 hours easy, and that's with the blower on low. Locust, apple and osage orange, very little coal bed, and the wood burned into a coarse powder, wood is at 16,18,% for the most part.

cw.jpeg cw1.jpeg

Thankfully, we dodged blizzard conditions. We got more snow last night but it's 20° out now. On Friday when it was -30 wind chill, we didn't get much snow, which would have made drifting on the roads a real problem.
The street lights didn't seem to like that cold snap, though. 😏

Attachments

• PXL_20221223_091800718_TS.mp4
    7.4 MB
Last edited:
The little Aspen C3 does well when it’s running hard, but at 8*F outside, once it starts to burn down, the temps start to drop. The heat kicks on during the night.
Morning reload …
306088-c03fb5f19a1d58556701d6bc46eeb4dc.jpg

Ooo, I like that Reotemp. Looks pretty reasonably priced too. Do you have an IR thermometer to check for accuracy?
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to check into those! _g Looks like they've got probes and other stuff as well...Thanks for the heads-up, @30WCF 👍
I'm gonna guess that the Reotemp is more accurate than the Rutland re-badge.. 😏

Currently 21F OAT right now.

A few nights ago local news and the weather channel showed -2F with 20mph west winds and a windchill of -26F… but something was odd…I could feel cold moving into the house like it was getting colder even though the furnace wall thermostat still said 74IAT. So I glanced over at my indoor/outdoor thermometer by my chair and this is what I spied.

I thought my indoor/outdoor thermometer was broken so I grabbed the IR gun to double check the temperature outside. One picture is the fender of one of our vehicles, a few pictures showing the door of a detached garage, and some pictures of garage and house bricks to deny metal being a factor.

Conclusions:
1. Two thermometers don’t lie and neither do pictures. I even have screen shots from the news apps showing only -2F.
2. A pocket of super cold air moved into this valley for at least two hours.
3. Two hours later we had a heat wave of +1F.

1C4D6E7E-C224-4AF6-9193-47C9E6465529.jpeg 519EEC11-CD1D-4DAD-B978-61991A2F831C.jpeg D832259D-FF0A-4577-BCE0-D3EB722203A0.jpeg D287A0A5-E191-42AE-8931-32C07E364669.jpeg 9201B61D-50DE-440C-BB23-F312D0843B31.jpeg AA584FCB-0F08-4642-B92C-75283D8C0F16.jpeg C5E8CE88-8E87-4253-ADFE-558A665DC8B2.jpeg
My indoor/outdoor thermometer sat at -15F for about 24-30 hours over this cold snap.

The big Hitzer 354…well the hardest it ran was a peak of about 390F on face of stove above the doors for a few hours…barely working the entire time. Stove top still never got hot enough to boil water in my coffee pot sitting on top of the stove. Sucks! Can’t make coffee or cook on top of it, but there are advantages. 🤣😂👍

Last edited:
Coldest nights here since 2017 or 18. Air sealing has helped hold the heat in. Second basement stove has made that space more pleasant. I haven’t pushed it yet. I did push the upstairs stove and I switched to my oak and dogwood. I still like my dense yellow pine better. Faster to light faster and less coals and ash. Just burns too fast for over night loads. The cold highlights just how crappy my crawl space insulation is. I’ll get to work on that.

Ooo, I like that Reotemp. Looks pretty reasonably priced too. Do you have an IR thermometer to check for accuracy?
I do have an IR. It was about 25* off. I grabbed the magnet with a pair of channel locks and turned the dial face with my other hand about 1/8” to get it to read properly. Seems to track well and is doing pretty well so far. About a week in.

It was -8 wuith a -38 wind chill here in PA. Kinda used to it, but still........Thats why I love wood heat, it heats my house up from the bones to the floors, to the walls. Those are some cool pics too. I kept it about 70 in my house....took a lot of wood, but I made it thru, lol. I honestly feel bad for the folks in Buffalo NY...and that area....4 feet of snow, and I think it never quit yet. Like 50 people died nation wide during that storm. I feel bad, the most snow I ever saw was in KY believe it or not. 36 inches in 2 days, and they have no plows really, or salt. I was snaoed in for 2 weeks. Thats honest the most lonely I have ever been! Beer and chips kept me going.

Just now took these pictures as the stove is cruising steady.
It took a few tries to get the Imperial dialed in, and one time for the ReoTemp. I had it steady cruising and level. Took an IR reading and with some chanel locks and a stove glove, grabbed the ReoTemp off the stove, held the magnet still and twisted the dial till it read right. Had it back on the stove in 5 seconds and haven’t messed with it since.

75B38679-13B1-43F4-B0D4-0F978C016555.jpeg

656ACE52-632F-439C-9354-D93DBF4E5472.jpeg

7412D1A9-8F1C-4CF2-A4D1-2ED93667EB97.jpeg

BA7A7FD7-1C7E-47FD-8B70-1981CF605461.jpeg

Was in the teens a few days ago. 24 now and have 3 splits cherry, maple and oak in the PE Vista. Main floor 76. Upstairs 71.

Well, it was -10F with a non precipitation blizzard. We had 4 feet of snow in a week followed by clear but windy conditions. It developed into a significant wind event with Gusts in the 80mph range. Power out, insane snow drifts. Valcourt Waterloo kept the house at 78F. Had to turn on the forced air kit to dump some excess heat into the garage. Thing is a beast. Gotta love 80mph winds on the old chimney draft. Absolutely eats wood when it happens.

Wow! I cant even imagine 4 feet deep. Gets even more up high in the hills. Buffalo got like 4 feet too. Lake effect.

Currently 21F OAT right now.

A few nights ago local news and the weather channel showed -2F with 20mph west winds and a windchill of -26F… but something was odd…I could feel cold moving into the house like it was getting colder even though the furnace wall thermostat still said 74IAT. So I glanced over at my indoor/outdoor thermometer by my chair and this is what I spied.

I thought my indoor/outdoor thermometer was broken so I grabbed the IR gun to double check the temperature outside. One picture is the fender of one of our vehicles, a few pictures showing the door of a detached garage, and some pictures of garage and house bricks to deny metal being a factor.

Conclusions:
1. Two thermometers don’t lie and neither do pictures. I even have screen shots from the news apps showing only -2F.
2. A pocket of super cold air moved into this valley for at least two hours.
3. Two hours later we had a heat wave of +1F.

View attachment 306218 View attachment 306219 View attachment 306220 View attachment 306221 View attachment 306222 View attachment 306223 View attachment 306224
My indoor/outdoor thermometer sat at -15F for about 24-30 hours over this cold snap.

The big Hitzer 354…well the hardest it ran was a peak of about 390F on face of stove above the doors for a few hours…barely working the entire time. Stove top still never got hot enough to boil water in my coffee pot sitting on top of the stove. Sucks! Can’t make coffee or cook on top of it, but there are advantages. 🤣😂👍
How big is the firebox on your unit, and is it a cat or non, sounds like a great unit, we definitely got to test our stoves in NE,OHIO for sure, BK Parlor no issues,never heard of Hitzer but looks nice and seems functional.

I’ve got pictures of Miller Ferry ⛴️ in the western basin of Lake Erie and those ferry’s are sitting on the bottom. All the wind pushed the water towards Buffalo. Wow!

How big is the firebox on your unit, and is it a cat or non, sounds like a great unit, we definitely got to test our stoves in NE,OHIO for sure, BK Parlor no issues,never heard of Hitzer but looks nice and seems functional.
It’s an anthracite coal stove. 15”Dx25”W x approximately 17”-19” high.