Bosca Classic 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to post some pics of our Bosca Classic 500 as some previous members had expressed interest. Up and going for another Wisconsin winter....

Attachments

• DSCN1762.jpg
    DSCN1762.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 821
  • DSCN1761.jpg
    DSCN1761.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 961
  • DSCN1763.jpg
    DSCN1763.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 970
  • DSCN1764.jpg
    DSCN1764.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 846
Looks good! I like Bosca. we picked them up back during the great pellet rush of 08, and they have been a very solid stove: few to no problems to report other than the occassional snap switch (common of most brands). Easy setup, sides swing out for ease of access. Pretty tolerant to all types of pellets. The hopper can be smallish compared to others, but overall a good whip.

thanks for posting on the bosca brand....i am looking at a closeout model....spirit 500 pellet.......i guess the dealers are no longer carrying the brand.....which had me worried......have you had any issues? or have any tips for successfully burning trouble free?

Not a bad lookin stove! Just wondering if the combustion blower is varied with the heat setting or do you need to open the damper for the higher settings? TIA!

The combustion is varied with the heat setting. I typically don't touch the air damper at all. I am burning Lumberjack pellets made in Hayward, WI. Seem to burn pretty well, not quite as well as the Marth's I had the year before. SSCOMO, the snap switch is a low limit switch that kicks the fan when it reaches temperature; it's a proof of fire for the stove. Very easy to replace and cheap as well. My only tips for burning is clean once a week and give it a bit more air than you would anticipate. No regrets on my purchase.

Thanks for the info, have you had any problems keeping your glass clean? I was worried about getting parts for the Bosca brand but I guess theyre readily available and share some of the same parts as other brands.

Keeping that glass clean is an issue. Easy to clean off if you have the right damper settings. It will stay clean for about 3 or 4 hours before the accumulation of soot starts. From what I have gathered this issue is inherent in most pellet stoves.

How did you connect the stove pipe to the stove itself? it seems like it would be difficult to remove to clean the pipe if rtv was used?

I just bought and installed a Bosca Spirit 500 this week. It's brand new from a local dealer (vented horizontal thru the wall with one 3" 45, 3' of pipe, and an outside end cap)--he gave me a great price on it as he'd had it a couple years. I like it. I'm not still not sure about the controls and what the lights mean, as the manual seems as though it didn't translate from Chile well. I awoke this morning with the stove the stove having shut itself off and the temperature setting light blinking red on the lowest setting. The manual didn't seem real clear about what that meant. I think maybe it means it was too hot and shut itself down.

Any thoughts about the feed rate setting? I'd like to just basically leave it on 24/7 on the lowest setting, but it seems like the fuel flow is too slow at the default setting. As I said, the stove is beautiful. I am surprised that the convection/heat blower is louder than I would have liked. I experimented with a Lennox Traditions T300P last month, and it was much quieter. I have not seen a dirty door glass problem. It's got a slight bit of grey ash on the corners overnight (wipes off with a paper towel), but it has basically stayed clean in the overnights. Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks. K

Seeing as it is on the lowest setting I would recommend setting the auger trim to it's highest setting. With the stove on and on the lowest setting press auger trim until the level 1 and 4 lights are on. This will bump up the feed rate only when it is on the lowest setting. I run on this mode whenever I have the stove on low. You may want to restrict the amount of air entering the unit by pulling the bottom rod out a bit. Too much air will kill the fire (as well as too little). Let me know if this works!

Here are a few pics of the Bosca Spirit 500 install.

3" selkirk vp up the chimney
outside air from 2" muffler pipe and preheater hose
slate hearth

It fired right up. No leaks. Seems to burn best with the damper almost all the way closed on the 1 and 2 settings. I've been running it on 2 and it keeps the house around 70. Its 18-27 outside.

Attachments

• IMGP3588.jpg
    IMGP3588.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 507
  • IMGP3568.jpg
    IMGP3568.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 489
  • IMGP3582.jpg
    IMGP3582.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 486
  • IMGP3589.jpg
    IMGP3589.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 500
couple more pics

still need to trim around the hearth pad

Attachments

• IMGP3594.jpg
    IMGP3594.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 497
  • IMGP3593.jpg
    IMGP3593.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 495
Kplmn, I was running the Bosca Spirit 500 on the lowest setting for a bit.....the flame dies down and it just kind of smolders on that setting......I played around with the air damper and removed the outside air hose from the bottom of the stove......it seems to run better on the lowest settings without the outside air......and even better if you take your hand and cover the combustion air inlet but i dont know if covering that inlet would hurt the stove.

running mine on 2 now with the outside air hooked up......does good but still gets a much better flame without the oak and with my hand covering the damper

I have 2 Spirit 500s that I bought 2 years ago. They have been great stoves and I've had no issues once they were up and running. I've got a pretty big home and rarely if ever use the number 1 setting. The few times I've used it I noticed that the fire will sputter along nearly going out. Overall I use the middle 2 setting the majority of the time.

Both of my installs are directly vented horizontally through the wall with one 45° so the stoves angled in the corner of the rooms. Both have less than 5' of pipe and have outside air kits.

I have yet to get around to posting photos of my installs.......maybe late today if the wife will leave me alone for a while : )

Nice looking stove! I see it has my control board! (Which, by the way, is working fine!)

Chan

BadgerState said:
Just wanted to post some pics of our Bosca Classic 500 as some previous members had expressed interest. Up and going for another Wisconsin winter....

Status
Not open for further replies.