Bountiful Wind Storms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squirrel1410

May 16, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone else benefit from this winters storms? This is all from downed trees starting in October. Hoping some of it will be ready for next burn season. Most cut to 10” so I’m hoping that will shorten the time.

Attachments

• 2E15824C-8259-41C6-ABCB-FA059AAD2591.jpeg
    2E15824C-8259-41C6-ABCB-FA059AAD2591.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 364
  • A8E3C1CB-8AAD-41CA-9FA8-E6A0C375FB1D.jpeg
    A8E3C1CB-8AAD-41CA-9FA8-E6A0C375FB1D.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 359
Anyone else benefit from this winters storms? This is all from downed trees starting in October. Hoping some of it will be ready for next burn season. Most cut to 10” so I’m hoping that will shorten the time.
It's been a bountiful season. I lost 4-5 big'uns during last month's storm alone, plus I have more downed branches than I can, uh, shake a stick at. Not too many people around here process their own firewood so there's a wealth of it just lying along the roadsides, much of it already bucked. If I didn't already have more than I need I'd be scrounging like a squirrel going after nuts in November.

Reactions: Squirrel1410
Yup . . . picked up two pick up loads from one of the City parks (after asking permission) this past week.

It's been a bountiful season. I lost 4-5 big'uns during last month's storm alone, plus I have more downed branches than I can, uh, shake a stick at. Not too many people around here process their own firewood so there's a wealth of it just lying along the roadsides, much of it already bucked. If I didn't already have more than I need I'd be scrounging like a squirrel going after nuts in November.
Yup, it’s feast or famine. I’d have much more here if I had the time to invest. And I don’t want to drive my neighbors nuts with additional chainsawing... plus I still have logs to process.

Yup . . . picked up two pick up loads from one of the City parks (after asking permission) this past week.
Nice, the public works guys gave me some oak they were cutting up in the rotary. And a landscaper brought me a cut up soft maple that he would otherwise have had to pay to get rid of.

Yes I have two maples and a red oak that came down in my side yard. The back woods are full of blow down.
Unfortunately I sold my truck and dump trailer but if I still had that I could probably fill it every day just from road side stuff.
A lot of spots still have trees resting on or near the lines here. CMP did the bare minimum to get everything back up and running, not sure if they are going to fix things up this summer. The DOT came through and removed a lot of stuff that was right next to the road, basically as far as the grapple could reach, but they left a lot of hardwoods. Guess they knew us Mainers would clean it up haha

We have at least 20 full size white oaks blown over since the tornado passed through last May. I doubt I will ever get them all cut and split.

I got a cord of Norway and swamp maple cut split and stacked in the sun from the early march storm and another storm that came less than a week later. It all came from my father’s house in the patch of woods between properties. Some of the nice straight pieces of maple I split down to kindling from finger thickness to the size of typical hardwood flooring. Those straight grained Norway maple pieces split easier than pine. I transported it all via my Grand Marquis trunk. There is wood down all over, from smallish limbs to some very big trees. There’s a lot of downed pine in neighborhoods, long limbless trunks.

It's been super windy around here lately and each time I head back into my woods I find another branch or more that's big enough to cut up and split. It's nice. Plus I'm having a tree service come by to buck the giant pine tree that fell across my property during the windstorm we got back in October. Should be sitting pretty this time next year.

A deer ran into my truck and totalled it otherwise I'd have at least a years worth of wood. Nearby town will pick it up if the homeowner put the wood near the street, it was hard driving by piles of wood without my old truck to take it home.

Yep. I just checked on a giant silver Maple down in a backyard of Single out of work lady. She can't afford someone to clean it up. Its about three foot diameter at the bottom. It isn't the best wood but will help someone out!