Brand new Kodiak 1700 Gasket leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbower4

Jan 26, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,

Some of you might know I got my new Kodiak 1700 installed today. While loading it up for the night I noticed flames rolling near the door lever inside the stove. When I push on the door, the flames stop rolling. I’m assuming there is a gasket leak in my brand new stove. Am I wrong to assume this or does the gasket need “broken in”?
f32c9141bb17c05d002d2b838f51ab2d.jpg1f99f3e04ef052f81419e0da40d76c12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do the dollar bill test on the door? It may simply need adjusted.

Either on the handle its self on the inside or the latch itself there should be a adjustment nut to adjust the door tension...it is easy to do.

Either on the handle its self on the inside or the latch itself there should be a adjustment nut to adjust the door tension...it is easy to do.

Thanks Tar. I’ll check it out in the morning. Gonna let it burn for the night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tar. I’ll check it out in the morning. Gonna let it burn for the night!

You may want to lean something heavy up against that door for the night...non combustible of course..lol

Reactions: bbower4
I would also call the dealer on Monday. Have them double check it since it’s a brand new install.

Try pinching and fluffing up the gasket in that area a bit to see if that improves the seal.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Some of you might know I got my new Kodiak 1700 installed today. While loading it up for the night I noticed flames rolling near the door lever inside the stove. When I push on the door, the flames stop rolling. I’m assuming there is a gasket leak in my brand new stove. Am I wrong to assume this or does the gasket need “broken in”?
View attachment 222292View attachment 222293

I have the Enviro Cabello 1200 I always thought this is normal operating? Is this the airwash working that keeps the glass clean?
Guess I will be doing the dollar bill test when the insert cools down.

I have the Enviro Cabello 1200 I always thought this is normal operating? Is this the airwash working that keeps the glass clean?
Guess I will be doing the dollar bill test when the insert cools down.

I thought that at first also until I pressed more on the door and the turbulence stopped.

I thought that at first also until I pressed more on the door and the turbulence stopped.

Did you check to see if the door tension was adjustable? I would think it should not have that much play in it if your able to alter the fire by pressing on the door?

If the latching is like on the PE you may be able to bend back the latch receiver on the stove body a little. Do this very gingerly. It doesn't take a lot. One tap with a hammer can be enough.

Can you post a picture of the latch receiver on the stove body? It may be different than what I see on the PE stove.

Last edited:
Are you sure the handle got installed properly? Does it lock in about the "4PM" position? Its easy to adjust too, tightening the nut pulls the locking cog closer, so the gasket space is reduced to the stove. Seems very odd that a new door would have that issue....