Break-In fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTHC

Nov 12, 2009
Northwestern Vermont
Replacing my Morso 1125 (cracked cast iron door) with a brand spankin' new Hearthstone Shelburne. I'm having it installed on Friday.

When doing the break-in fires can I do multiple ones in a day if i let the stove cool to room temp in between? Hearthstone recommends three before having a hotter fire. I would really like to get some use out of the stove this weekend because it's supposed to be mighty cold here. If i get one in on Friday after installation, one in the evening when i get home from work, and the third Saturday morning i would be all set to use the stove Saturday night... Right? Or should i have more patience?

Do enameled cast iron stoves off-gas a lot when breaking in?

Yep, its just about the heat cold cycle. But I think that you will find it takes a long time for that stove to get to room temp.

The best idea to avoid warranty problems with a new stove is to follow the Mfgs recommendations, like it or not, and not look for what you may want to find in a forum (like this). After all, you've already had a cracked cast iron door...

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say:, "Work smarter, not harder."

Marty S said:
The best idea to avoid warranty problems with a new stove is to follow the Mfgs recommendations, like it or not, and not look for what you may want to find in a forum (like this). After all, you've already had a cracked cast iron door...

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say:, "Work smarter, not harder."
Unfortunately the mfg. does not specify timeline between the break-ins... That is why i'm asking all the knowledgeable people on this forum for advice/opinions.
The stove i'm replacing is over 30 years old, and has had many, MANY cords of wood go through it before I inherited it.

Was wondering the same thing for the Mansfield I'm having delivered in early March. My read of the manual indicates that the stove should be allowed to cool to room T after the break in fires. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to have your next break in fires after the stove has cooled. Perhaps give the stove an extra couple hours after you feel it is cool enough to cut your new stove some slack.....
I guessing the cool down phase shouldn't be too long after a very small break in fire. My manual states just as small amount of kindling, with perhaps a single small chunk. Good luck and update with photos and your break in stories!

i would think 3 fires in one day could be possible.i did the first in the am and 2nd in pm the same day. next morning the 3rd . depending on the stove it may take some time to cool off though. but it would be nice to get it up and running especially in these temperatures. you have to feel good about the break in period. i was on the cautious side and also it was cold not freezing out when i broke this one in, nice stove let us know how it works out, pete

Methinks the schedule you worked out should be fine. On our soapstone, I did 2 on one day and the third the next. It works out great and then you don't have to worry about the stove at all. Also please remember that Hearthstone recommends doing this sort of thing every year. Perhaps you do not need to do it exactly the same way but a small break-in fire in the fall is best because of moisture in the stone. You do not want to crack that stuff.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I think with the stove being one of Hearthstone's cast iron units (Hergom line), it will cool fast enough between the fires (on the timeline i suggested in the OP) for me to use Saturday night. According to the manual the first and subsequent fires are recommended to be newspaper and a small amount of kindling - just to get the stove warm to the touch. This should cool pretty quickly back to RT. If it's installed before noon the next fire wouldn't be until 6 or 7pm (after i get home from work), and then 12 hours later on Saturday morning. So i think i will be safe.

I'll let you all know how it goes and take some pictures of the install. Cheers!

I did FOUR in one day..... One for extra measure! No worries...

Yes photos, please!

Stove was installed this morning and the first break-in fire was done... The guys from the stove shop found sketchy liner install shenanigans. It seems the place i hired to install my liner this past summer did some shady stuff when attaching the pass thru and thimble to the chimney liner - nothing overly dangerous, just sloppy and hurried. They fixed it.

Is it not cool to call out a masonry company on these boards? If you Live in Northwestern Vermont PM me and I'll tell you who NOT to use.

First burn went well. Can't wait to open er' up and get the obligatory secondary flame picture! I'll try posting later this weekend after the break-ins are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.