BRECKWELL BIG E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After talking with Eric..........looks like I need a new thermostat.

But the stove is working and with his input, I feel much better! Thank you so much!

And trust me............you probably haven't finished hearing from me yet............. :red:

But I'll get there--I promise!! lol

With the damper open more or all the way, I will get a complete burn, is there any down side with having the damper open more vs less.

Home Heater said:
With the damper open more or all the way, I will get a complete burn, is there any down side with having the damper open more vs less.

Nope More air will help to keep the clinkers out. Your auger will still drop the same amount of pellets into the burn pot.

Burn em if you got em

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Nope More air will help to keep the clinkers out. Your auger will still drop the same amount of pellets into the burn pot.

Burn em if you got em

Eric

Should the dampner be open to the point where the fire goes up an down with the feed of the pellets or should the fire remain constant? I can't open it to far or alot of the pellets that aren't completely burned blow out of the burn pot!

tmielke said:
kinsman stoves said:

Burn em if you got em

Eric

Should the dampner be open to the point where the fire goes up an down with the feed of the pellets or should the fire remain constant? I can't open it to far or alot of the pellets that aren't completely burned blow out of the burn pot!

You need to find a happy medium.

Did that sound Politically Correct? I am trying, for all the Haters out there. You know who you are.

Eric

I admit it.........I'm a snow hater.....and proud of it!! My snow motto is: "anywhere but here"

I have a clinker question, folks. When I woke up this morning, my stove seemed to be running OK, but I noticed that the flame wasn't nearly as high as it was when I went to bed. I stirred the burn pot, and there was a clinker in the bottom about 1" thick, with dimensions the same size and shape as the burn pot. I removed it, and the flame perked right back up again. After reading most of the replies on this and a couple other threads, I was under the impression that if I left my damper wide open the clinker problem would be minimized or even eliminated. Is it my pellets? I have those pellets from Athens, Maine. I guess I should just get used to the idea of being greeted by a square hockey puck in my stove each morning. Maybe I could build something out of them at the end of the winter, sort of to commemorate the occasion. If clinkers is my only problem, I'll take it.
Curt

The more air (by opening the damper) will prevent the clinker. I have also found that excessive ash under the fire pot inside the black thing can block the air flow and will need to be cleaned every so often.

Eric

Eric,

I opened the damper like you said, and I still got a clinker last nite.......I haven't checked it this morning.

My friends said it could be from damp pellets and to change them. But I don't know how they could be damp............

Going downstairs to check for a hockey puck.

A little clinker is normal. If you have a "hockey puck" in there that is to much. Is the hopper lid closed keeping the NINE CATS from using it as a litter box?

Eric

when you clean your big e you should remove the burn pot and the burn pot holder.the box the burn pot sits in.clean them good

There are two small metal doors that need to be removed to clean behind the wall where the pellets come down from .thats in your manual.

johnnywarm said:
when you clean your big e you should remove the burn pot and the burn pot holder.the box the burn pot sits in.clean them good

There are two small metal doors that need to be removed to clean behind the wall where the pellets come down from .thats in your manual.

I do clean the burn pot and the holder...........................but I don't know about the metal doors............would that create clinkers???

foldsct said:
johnnywarm said:

I do clean the burn pot and the holder...........................but I don't know about the metal doors............would that create clinkers???

This is not a big E but these are the doors. They need to be clean every other week or so. They will not cause a clinker, they are air chambers. How big of a clinker was it?

Eric

Attachments

• P1040278.JPG
    P1040278.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 227
foldsct said:
johnnywarm said:

No just alot of dust out of your exhaust pipe.

foldsct said:
Eric,

I opened the damper like you said, and I still got a clinker last nite.......I haven't checked it this morning.

My friends said it could be from damp pellets and to change them. But I don't know how they could be damp............

I have found it can be the pellets.i think when they have more Binder in them then others do.you also need good air to the pellets when burning.

The clinker was about 1 inch tall and the size of the pot.

And hotter than hell!!! lol

johnnywarm said:
foldsct said:
Eric,

I have found it can be the pellets.i think when they have more Binder in them then others do.you also need good air to the pellets when burning.

Quality pellets do not have a binder agent.
Eric

foldsct said:
The clinker was about 1 inch tall and the size of the pot.

And hotter than hell!!! lol

Fire is hot!

How far out was the damper?

Eric

The damper was all the way back in.............

They put a new thermostat in last nite, and that seems to be working perfectly!! I've pulled the damper back out 1/2 way........I hope that's it!

foldsct said:
The damper was all the way back in.............

They put a new thermostat in last nite, and that seems to be working perfectly!! I've pulled the damper back out 1/2 way........I hope that's it!

If your damper is in you will get a clinker. Only level that it should be running with it all the way in #1. I thought we talked about that. Do we have to have a test?

Eric

I didn't check the stove last nite so it's my fault, I'll admit it.

Yes, sir......the damper is 1/2 way out so we'll see if that works.

I don't want to be tested..........I'll fail. :eek:hh:

I have found it can be the pellets.i think when they have more Binder in them then others do.you also need good air to the pellets when burning.[/quote]

Eric[/quote]

Theres alot of "non" quality pellets out there.

johnnywarm said:

Eric[/quote]

Theres alot of "non" quality pellets out there.[/quote]

Yes that is true. Watch what you are buying and from who you are buying pellets from. There are a lot of places that have attempted to sell pellets to turn a few bucks. Storage is also a big issue. Do not get pellets that have been stored outside.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.