Bring it on!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
ssued by The National Weather Service
Philadelphia, PA
9:31 am EST, Sat., Dec. 5, 2009

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT.

THE RAIN THAT DEVELOPED ACROSS THE REGION THIS MORNING WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST THIS AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL THEN CONTINUE INTO THIS EVENING AND THEN END AROUND MIDNIGHT. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE 2 TO 4 INCHES FROM THE PHILADELPHIA METROPOLITAN AREA NORTHWARD. HOWEVER OVER AREAS CLOSER TO THE COAST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF ONLY AN INCH OR TWO ARE ANTICIPATED.

BEING THAT THE GROUND REMAINS FAIRLY WARM... MOST OF THE SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL BE ON UNPAVED SURFACES. HOWEVER, THE SNOW WILL PROBABLY BE HEAVY ENOUGH TO ALSO ACCUMULATE ON ROADWAYS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

It is coming at you Bubba. Snowing like crazy in Northern Virginia for the last hour or two and sliding up the coast your way. And temps dropping like a rock.

Yup...it's been snowing pretty good here for a couple hours. Should be heading your way if it's not already there.

Great!

I will be travelling today. Leaving Maple shade NJ at 12:00 and heading north 45 mins.. Helping the parents drag all the christmas stuff out of the storage area,
then celebrating their 37th anniversary at a restaurant out at the shore. Pt. Pleasant NJ. Then driving back to their house, then driving home. Should be an interesting ride home.

37 miles to their house
38their house to restaurant
38 reverse trip to their house
37trip to my house

Approx 150 mile round trip to celebrate 37 yrs- priceless!

We're looking at 2 - 4" off wintry mix up here...
Guess I gotta put the CrossBones away...*sigh*

Looking out the window at the heavy wet snow collecting on the tree limbs I know that the power outage can't be too far away. Our lines run through miles of tree lined roads and through the woods.

I remain skeptical about the forecast for my area. Near the water, a lot of predicted snowfall never amounts to very much. But I took down the deck canopy, just the same!

I was just thinking the same thing BB. The rain/snow mix earlier really wetted down the pines here. Now it's all snow and is sticking pretty good.
Still coming down hard...looks like 2"+ already on the decks!

BrotherBart said:
Looking out the window at the heavy wet snow collecting on the tree limbs I know that the power outage can't be too far away. Our lines run through miles of tree lined roads and through the woods.

I went and put the rear blade on the tractor just in case they are wrong and I need to push some snow.
Kids are eagerly watching for it to turn to snow, ( rain hail right now ). Temp is dropping it was 40 earlier and is 36 now so the change is coming.
Oh and the stove is nice and toasty, and I filled my two wood racks in the garage yesterday.
I just need to get some beer for tonight and then I am with you bring it on.

Winter? Virginia don't have no stinkin winter!

Attachments

• Bring it on!!!!!
    snow 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 341
  • Bring it on!!!!!
    snow 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Bring it on!!!!!
    pining away.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 334
north of 60 said:
BrotherBart said:

I agree.

When you guys have to start dealing with snow and ice one day, mud the next day, snow and ice one day, mud the next day I will listen. You guys have it easy. Gets cold. Stays cold. Put five splits in the Blaze King in September and again in January and done with it. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
BrotherBart said:

I agree.

When you guys have to start dealing with snow and ice one day, mud the next day, snow and ice one day, mud the next day I will listen. You guys have it easy. Gets cold. Stays cold. Put five splits in the Blaze King in September and again in January and done with it. :lol:

I agree.

Rain, rain, rain. 36 °F , which makes me glad I bought an extra bag of ice melter :coolsmirk:

OH PLEASE give me a break. 2 - 4 inches?

Here we go and this just the begining of the week.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Reno, NV
4:06 pm PST, Sat., Dec. 5, 2009

... WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING...

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING.

* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN SUNDAY EVENING BECOMING MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES BY MONDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL LAST THROUGH THE DAY MONDAY.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: POTENTIALLY 10-20 INCHES ABOVE 5000 FEET SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 36 INCLUDING THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN. UP TO 30 INCHES IS POSSIBLE ABOVE 7000 FEET. UP TO 6 INCHES ACROSS NORTHERN AND EASTERN LASSEN COUNTY.

* WINDS: 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. RIDGES WILL BE GUSTING UP TO 70 MPH.

* IMPACTS: SNOW WILL CREATE SLICK ROADS AND HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS ACROSS ALL AREAS IN THE WATCH. VISIBILITY MAY BE REDUCED BELOW A HALF MILE AT TIMES DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS.

Weather statement follows is the last few paragraphs. This will be measured in feet.

A SECOND STORM IS POSSIBLE LATE WEDNESDAY INTO FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL BE SLIGHTLY WARMER THAN THE FIRST. BUT WITH PLENTY OF COLD AIR TRAPPED IN THE VALLEYS... THE STORM WILL BEGIN AS SNOW... POSSIBLY CHANGING OVER TO A MIX OF SNOW AND RAIN BELOW 5000 FEET LATE IN THE EVENT. SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM. WITH BOTH SYSTEMS... WINDS WILL INCREASE AND BECOME STRONG ESPECIALLY ON THE SIERRA RIDGES.

LOCAL OFFICIALS... EMERGENCY MANAGERS AND ANYONE WITH TRAVEL PLANS THIS UPCOMING WEEK SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE FORECASTS AND FURTHER STATEMENTS FOR BOTH THESE STORMS.

I am t 6000 feet.

Lets see.

Wood stacked on deck - CHECK
Gas cans filled for snow blower _ CHECK
Kerosene for lanterns - CHECK
Shovel and 9 year old - CHECK!

They totally dropped the ball-again. Central NJ got some, the ride home from the shore was not too bad,
and I got a dusting. 4 miles from philly in NJ .

How the heck can they say 2-4 and not even be close?

Ja, bring it on. Had enough dumped to have the snow thrower out and the temps fell to -18C. Finally, I can run the stove proper and not have to keep a window open.

I don't mind getting dumped on as much. What I hate is when it snows around an inch every day. Not enough for the snow thrower and I hate to shovel. I really want to put a blade on my tractor but it has a light duty hydro and would shorten its life. Next tractor will be a GT series, not this LT/YT crapsman stuff. A quad with a blade would be nice but Santa hasn't come through for me yet.

3-4" of sticky snow now clinging to the northeast side of all tree trunks. Very pretty, even though it's weighed the handsome, ornamental grasses low.

If it doesn't melt away in the next few days it will morph into a nasty coating of ice on shaded surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.