BUCK MODEL 81 NON CAT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twocycle

Dec 1, 2014
Mississippi
I'm very new to this new Buck Model 81 non-cat insert, after 16 years with an old Ashley catalytic insert. I'm just curious how any other owners of the Buck 81 operate it, but especially prevent over-fires. I'm pretty sure I had my first one the other night, but with no thermometer, I'm not sure. But, one is in the mail to me as we speak. I have a double-wall insulated 6" Forever Flex liner attached to this insert. I must say I'm a bit scared of the overfiring I experienced the other night, if that is what it was, happening again. I find myself sitting up late at night watching the fire to make sure it doesn't happen again, fretting over it & losing sleep. I have spent a LOT of money on this set up, and I do not want to live in fear. Any suggestions on prevention of overfiring with the Buck 81, please advise. I am burning very well seasoned wood, too. Thanks.

Going from a cat to a tube burner is a different mindset. Tube stoves do burn hotter, this takes some getting used to. With the thermometer you will be able to tell if you are overfiring, you will need to get the fire hot enough for the burn tubes to reburn the smoke instead of a cat. This is going to be more if a cycle, it will burn hot then cool down.

Once you get the thermometer as I mentioned in your last thread you can tell us what temps you are closing your air at and we can help you, kinda flying blind without that.

Check these threads out:
New Buck 81, checking temperature, video included
Buck Model 81

What's happening that makes you think it's overfiring? Until you get a thermometer it'll be hard to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.