Bucking logs and knots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
One of the few things I don't like about the pinon species that I burn almost exclusively is the close spacing of limb offshoots, about 14-16". Since that falls right in the region of the length I'm cutting to, the question always arises about what to do; cut so the knot is in the middle, on one end, cut around it, ignore them, etc.

So I'm wondering what you folks do with knots when bucking logs to length. It's pretty clear that, in an east/west-burning stove, having a big ol' knot on one end is not the greatest idea...

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, and why. But it makes for some pretty lopsided fires...

I bought a couple of chains for my saw that are for ripping (like the ones used for making boards from rounds) and when there is a big knot I saw right thru them.These chains really walk thru the wood much better than chains for cross-cutting.
Mike

We don't get pinion, more hardwoods instead, but I also try to cut so that the knots end up at the ends. It does make some lopsided loading, but often you can alternate the fat ends so it isn't to bad. It's easier to split with the knots on the end, and even when you get a big-end split, it is still easier to deal with than one with a big lump in the middle. I also try to rip forks and crotches if that is practical.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.