Building a new house, chimney or pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found three... I"ll be calling them in the morning :)

BeGreen beat me to the punch . . . this is what you should do next as I suspect the prices may be a bit easier to swallow. In the meantime, heed BHoller's advice on chimneys -- he sees a lot more of them than most of us folks and knows what he is talking about when it comes to performance, damage, etc.

Just be aware that with the spate of recent cold weather I suspect the chimney sweeps -- especially the good ones -- are starting to get busy as folks suddenly remember that they need to install a woodstove or have their chimney swept.

Incidentally many folks who are not so much in the know when it comes to using modern day woodstoves are not all that familiar with Class A chimneys and figure that a cheap, concrete block and clay tile chimney hooked up to a new woodstove would just as well as their old Fisher and be just as good . . . which is not always the case. We often tend to do what we are are familiar with . . . and I suspect that's why folks still do these cheap, masonry chimneys.

My own take . . . for the bit of extra money the peace of mind, warranty and longevity of Class A chimneys just makes more sense to the person who intends to use their woodstove as a serious heater. For the person who wants a fireplace and mantle to hang their stockings at Christmas with an occasional fire for "when the time is right" and love is in the air then perhaps a nice masonry chimney is appropriate -- but to do it up nice and cover the block with bricks, stone, etc. will be pretty pricey vs. the cheap bare concrete block look.

thank you. I just can't do a masonry chimney. I can't. I just can't. if I can't find a cheaper one, then oh well. I'll just have to figure out how to pay for this one.

I'm in southern Maine. Would love the info if it is near here. I've been calling around and only two places would quote me a price. And the second quote said 4000 and that didn't include finish work on to outside.

I used Maine Stove and Chimney out of Sanford.

Maine stove and chimney are booked out two months. My house will be done by then.

Called another place just for a steel liner and they want $2500 just for a liner. Seriously???? I'm so stressed out about this right now

Okay I used that website and I found one guy who can come within the next few weeks and get it put in however it is still going to be almost $4,000 to have a steel chimney put in and he wants to do it on the Gable end of the house not through the roof is that typical and is it okay?

Unless no alternative I would go straight up. It's a cleaner look and functions better as a flue, meaning it will draft better and stay cleaner. Stand your ground, you are the one that is paying the bill.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Unless no alternative I would go straight up. It's a cleaner look and functions better as a flue, meaning it will draft better and stay cleaner. Stand your ground, you are the one that is paying the bill.
That's what I thought. He argued with me about it. He said it is typical to do it this way and 95% are done this way and it is preferred. The more I talk to people, the more crazy this gets and the more stressed out I become. Why must this be so difficult??

"We always do it this way" does not make it right. Why introduce greater cost (more expensive parts) plus 2 additional 90º turns, plus more exterior exposure when it is entirely unnecessary, poorer functioning and less attractive?

When I was involved building custom sailing yachts at least once a week some "expert" would come through the boatyard and scoff or sow seeds of doubt about something or other. I think this was mostly because we were building the opposite of most boats on the water which are essentially floating RVs. Eventually you develop a thick skin and trust in your abilities. We defined expert as - X, the unknown factor and spert- as a drip under pressure. These boats are still going strong after 25 year in ocean and Puget Sound service.

Here is a good primer on chimneys that you can use for reference.
http://woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html

And some previous threads on the topic
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sell-me-on-the-pros-and-cons-of-steel-vs-masonry-chimney.108017/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/masonry-chimney-vs-insulated-pipe.50028/

That's what I thought. He argued with me about it. He said it is typical to do it this way and 95% are done this way and it is preferred. The more I talk to people, the more crazy this gets and the more stressed out I become. Why must this be so difficult??

Not sure of your personal abilities, but your immediate issue is a proper raceway, that is the framers job and a metal chimney ran up and through. You can deal with the rest of the install issues later. Help here could get your through this part without too much trouble and a days work.

"We always do it this way" does not make it right. Why introduce greater cost (more expensive parts) plus 2 additional 90º turns, plus more exterior exposure when it is entirely unnecessary, poorer functioning and less attractive?

When I was involved building custom sailing yachts at least once a week some "expert" would come through the boatyard and scoff or sow seeds of doubt about something or other. I think this was mostly because we were building the opposite of most boats on the water which are essentially floating RVs. Eventually you develop a thick skin and trust in your abilities. We defined expert as - X, the unknown factor and spert- as a drip under pressure. These boats are still going strong after 25 year in ocean and Puget Sound service.

Here is a good primer on chimneys that you can use for reference.
http://woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html

And some previous threads on the topic
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sell-me-on-the-pros-and-cons-of-steel-vs-masonry-chimney.108017/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/masonry-chimney-vs-insulated-pipe.50028/
and that is exactly it all the things you mentioned that are not right by having outside, those are all the reasons why the builder and I disagree with this guy. And he is supposed to be the professional from the website I was told to go to! I called him back and told him we want it in the center of the house and he told me that he has 37 years of experience and we don't know anything. I'm done with this guy. Plus he said he won't guarantee his work unless it is on the outside of the house. Why is this such a pain???

As for the Construction part of things, he has it blocked off for a chimney already and he isn't taking no for an answer on where it is going. It is going up the center and that is that!

Why is this such a pain???
I have no idea why you are having such trouble. I dont care how long that guy has been doing it he has no clue what he is talking about. And the fact that he can be there in a couple weeks this time of year tells me something about his business. Most guys I know are scheduling the end of nov or the beginning of dec now.

I have no idea why you are having such trouble. I dont care how long that guy has been doing it he has no clue what he is talking about. And the fact that he can be there in a couple weeks this time of year tells me something about his business. Most guys I know are scheduling the end of nov or the beginning of dec now.
good point. Bc all other places are booked way out like you've said. I will steer away from him

and that is exactly it all the things you mentioned that are not right by having outside, those are all the reasons why the builder and I disagree with this guy. And he is supposed to be the professional from the website I was told to go to! I called him back and told him we want it in the center of the house and he told me that he has 37 years of experience and we don't know anything. I'm done with this guy. Plus he said he won't guarantee his work unless it is on the outside of the house. Why is this such a pain???

As for the Construction part of things, he has it blocked off for a chimney already and he isn't taking no for an answer on where it is going. It is going up the center and that is that!
Human nature, stubbornness and csia certification are separate qualities and qualifications. When I went looking for our stove the local dealer that I tried to give the business to adamantly insisted the stove was too large and that he wouldn't sell it to me because I would be dissatisfied and complain. He was completely wrong and lost the sale.

EXCELLENT!
If you hold out for the chimney that is being advised here, you will be glad you did down the road.
What is the deal with the chimney people in Maine?!

EXCELLENT!
If you hold out for the chimney that is being advised here, you will be glad you did down the road.
What is the deal with the chimney people in Maine?!
IDK.but I'm.getting ticked off. I may end up with a masonry with a steel liner. That may be all I can round up

IDK.but I'm.getting ticked off. I may end up with a masonry with a steel liner. That may be all I can round up
That will serve you well also. But in your situation I think a prefab chimney is the best option.

I'm just not sure I will be able to get someone here to do it is all.
I understand that but where are you going to get some one to put in the insulated liner?

Many places up here will do liners but not chimneys. Maybe one of them?
Really? Prefab chimneys are generally easier than liners. That is surprising to me.

I
Really? Prefab chimneys are generally easier than liners. That is surprising to me.
I can't tell you how many places I've called. This whole thing has been incredibly frustrating and stressful... Not to mention,I am.running out of time to set stuff up.

I can't tell you how many places I've called. This whole thing has been incredibly frustrating and stressful... Not to mention,I am.running out of time to set stuff up.
I understand that I don't get why it is so hard for you either. What these guys are telling you simply does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.