Building a pass-through for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunlapd

Jun 12, 2007
We are building a new home with a VC wood burning fireplace. We are having our builder build a pass-through for firewood. It would come from the outside to cabinets beside the fireplace. Anyone got any suggestions on how this is to be built esp. as to how to construct and seal the exterior doors? Our first post. I searched to find this issue or ones related...I didn't find what I am looking for. Thanks. P.S. we are just beginning the exterior wrap...so, if you can, help quickly please. D

How big do you want the pass through? I'd hate to have a leaky setup on a nicely insulated new home.

Matt

without measuring....it is about, unfortunately, on each side of an insert, a little over a foot and then about 3 feet tall. the doors would be located on the fireplace canterleaver (sp?) weight/mass past it's support underneath. D

thanks...again...the exterior sealing, water shedding aspect of the door is a critical issue. The pics would be great. d

I had one in my last house, and have a different system now. I like my new system much better. Here's the scoop:

PASS THROUGH SYSTEM

There was a built in "chest" right by the fireplace. The outside wall of the chest had a small door, that was built just like a regular outside door. It was solid, and had a deadbolt lock for security. I think it was even hooked up to the alarm.

I would bring the wood to the door, then kneel down and reach in and put it inside. Problem was that I'm kneeling down and reaching in and arranging the wood. Not convenient.

NEW SYSTEM: SLIDING WOOD BOX

My new system in my current house is 100 times better. I have a custom-built chest with teflon furniture sliders on its feet. I slide it to the sliding glass door, fill it with wood and slide it back next to the fireplace. I first built it with casters, but the sliders are much much easier.

Attachments

• WoodBoxLoading.jpg
    WoodBoxLoading.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,063
good suggestion...and we may use it. There is a door right near the fireplace and could pull (via wheel barrow or 4-wheeler) the firewood right up to it. Our access using the exterior doors would not required kneeling. Will keep this in mind. d Still looking for suggestions. Thanks.

It sounds to me like what you are doing is putting a wood rack or box next to the fireplace, and would like to have a pass through door to load it from the outside, then a second door on the inside to take the wood out and put it in the fireplace, correct?

If so, I would say that you probably want to build the outside doors and seal them in the exact same way that you'd build any other outside door... Same sort of weatherstripping, same sort of locks (though you might get away with just having a deadbolt and a pull handle - obviously the door should open out. I'd consider making the door opening slightly larger than the box inside so as to minimize hitting the door frame while loading the wood and chewing up the weathersealing.

Since no door is going to be as tight as a solid wall would be, I'd consider insulating the walls and inside door of the wood box at least somewhat, and weather strip the inside door as well, just on general principles.

Since any significant stack of wood is going to exert a fair amount of side pressure, I'd make sure the walls were stoutly constructed and attached. I would make the walls and floor of the box from plywood, probably 3/4", and maybe cover it with sheet metal to make it as long wearing, easy to clean and bug-proof as I could manage.

Bear in mind though that this is just what I came up with thinking about the idea - I'm not in the construction biz, and have never built or seen one. Does seem like a neat idea though.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.