Burning Wood Pellets in a WoodStove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostromo

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
Seattle WA
I have a wood stove insert being installed in a couple weeks and am looking at 'stockpiling' some fuel for the upcoming winter. I am collecting prices on pressed logs, firewood etc...

But...as i was doing my searching i came accross a couple sites that were selling Wood Pellet Boxes that you fill up with wood pellets that go inside a wood stove/insert.

Anybody here tried that? The only reason why i ask is cuz I can get wood pellets cheaper than pressed logs and firewood at this point.

Any thoughts/experience on this?

http://burnwoodpellets.com/

That is the link to the woodpellet boxes. And no i am not at all associated with them. I am just curious as i am a new owner of a Wood Stove /Insert and want to know what all my options for fuel are.

They look really inefficient personally...but just was wondering if any body has experience with them before i drop 150 bucks on one.

Thanks!

BeGreen is right - Just get Bio bricks. It burns better and it easier to handle. I had a lot of problems trying to burn a wood a bag of wood pellets in a wood stove

I went to Lowe's and bought an expanded metal sheet, nuts, bolts and flat steel to make the legs. 1 hour later using tin snips and a vise, I was able to make a basket for about $30.00. I will have to say that they will burn, but not efficiently. If the basket is filled a little, they will burn, but you will constantly reload. I filled the basket full several times and it was a random burn and smoulder. Once the outer pellets burned, the inner pellets did not get enough air. There may be better products on the market than a home made basket.

Hey thanks guys for the replies.

Sorry for not using the search functionality--hehe...i get some slack as a 2 post newbie, right :)

Do you have a good sized truck? If so, you might be able to get rejects from HomeFire plant up in Ferndale. They are a pretty good deal and burn very well. If interested call or email Virginia at the plant.

1-877-580-1743
E-mail: [email protected]

PS: What stove do you have?

No I don't have a truck I just have an SUV. However, I bet if packed correctly i could load up a pallet full of wood/pressed logs.

I read your reviews of HomeFire Prest Logs and North Idaho Energy logs. I called around and De Youngs in Bothell/Woodinville look to be the best prices.

Of the 2 which ones would you recommend? Just one pallet of each or would you go for one over the other?

I have a 2000 SF home and just bought the Avalon Olympic based on the reccomendations from this wonderful site!

My only concern (with later searches on the forums) is that some folks think they burn too much wood...so Im' not sure if i made the right choice.

BTW your reviews of the logs were very helpful--as is this site :)

Hmm, that could be messy. These are raw logs, irregulars and broken pieces. I'd rent a 1 ton van or bigger.

Both pressed logs are excellent products with similar burn results. Either should do you well. But do treat them with respect, there is a lot of heat packed into these products. Thomas of NW Fuels (SuperCedar fame) also sells the Northern Idaho Logs out of Mulkiteo. http://www.nwfuel.com/

I burn these and think they're great, i think they're pretty much the same product begreen is talking about, and they do burn hot, I put one of two of these in the middle and mix wood.

http://www.hearthwise.com/page/page/506662.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.